Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific DRIVING LICENSE.....?

1. Posted by dannyboy7 (Full Member 167 posts) 10y

Hey guys,
If i wanna hire a car or bike in oz do i need both parts of my uk license or can i just bring my photo license...coz the cops have still got my paper part...putting my speeding points on it.....35mph in a 30mph...speedy gonzalez or what..?

2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

Both the photocard and paper part makes up a UK licence - it's not a licence without both.

3. Posted by xxpacerxx (Full Member 76 posts) 10y

Danny have had a few incidents with our special friends in several countries! over different continents. I have never had any problems with our 'friends' when only producing my photo licence.

I think they're more than happy with prove of name, address and picture as prove as identification. One word of advice is to pay any fines off as soon as you get them, otherwise they will get you ! ;)

4. Posted by Purdy (Travel Guru 3546 posts) 10y

Is an international drivers licence not required for Australia & New Zealand? Or does my standard UK licence allow me to drive over there?

When hiring a car l would definately take both parts of the licence, the hire company will need to see it - l would have thought.

When are you off Danny? Have you contacted the police or licence issuing authority about getting your paper part back asap? Send off for a new licence saying you lost your old one and maybe the replacement will have no points on it!!!

5. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

This page on the Vic Roads website talks about overseas licence holders (visitors) driving in Victoria, and what is required.

For NSW, this page, and this page have useful info.

6. Posted by dannyboy7 (Full Member 167 posts) 10y

I'm off on the 4th sept to sydney for 3 months......yeah i'm gonna need to ring the DVLA and see if they can send back my paper bit....otherwise i'll have to make do with my roller blades...
thanks guys