Skip Navigation

How easy is it to get extensions for Schengen visas?

Travel Forums Europe How easy is it to get extensions for Schengen visas?

1. Posted by sunsengnim (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y

Hi everyone. I'm going to Spain and Portugal this fall and I'm aware now of the 90 day out of 180 limit for Schengen countries. I'd like to stay longer than that, and do it legally so that I can always return to Schengen countries with no hassles. I've heard rumors on various forums of a 30 day extension... can anyone elaborate more on this? Is it fairly easy to get? Is it possible to get before you leave the US? Thanks so much for your time and any/all info is greatly appreciated!

2. Posted by Silvietto (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y

As far as I know, there is no possibility to extend a tourist visa. There are some chances you are in Europe on a study visa, but otherwise no hope...

3. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5077 posts) 10y

Hi sunsengim -

contact the Spanish and Portugese embassies in Washington; they will advise you best.


4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 10y

The extension is a local emergency one - if you have to go to hospital, missed your flight or had your passport stolen, the Spanish or Portugese authorities have the right to extend your stay. (They are allowed to do it, but they might choose not to do so.) That extension is valid only for the country you are in at the time you get the extension and normally you are required to leave as soon as you are able. As a US-citizen you could in Germany use the 90 days of your tourist visa to apply for a student residency permit while you where in Germany, but the rules for Spain are different and I don't know them. (Think US state law.)

So if you want to stay longer, you either have to get a student visa or do the 90-days out of Schengen "trick". Means after your 90 days in Spain and Portugal you spent 90 days in non-Schengen countries like Morocco, Turkey, Switzerland or Eastern Europe before you return to Spain and Portugal for another 90 days. The way I know it you can also get a student visa if you want to take a langugage course at a private institure. You don't have to sign up for uni, if that is one of your worries.

5. Posted by sunsengnim (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y

Thank you everyone for your helpful info. I might try for a student visa then. Thank you so much!