Skip Navigation

Temperatures in Norway early/mid September?

Travel Forums Europe Temperatures in Norway early/mid September?

1. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4809 posts) 10y

Sander has indicated that this thread is about Norway

Hey all,

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Norway with a friend for early/mid September, and we're wondering at what point temperatures start to drop / what to expect generally weatherwise. We're mostly interested in going to the highlands and up to the Arctic Circle (although not all the way to the north, alas, due to lack of time; Rana/Saltfjellet-Svartisen Nasjonalpark/Bodø is probably the furthest north we'll get, just edging over the arctic circle), but heard some reports that it might already be snowing in mid September? Don't know how credible that is... I do expect there to be quite some differences between what to expect around Oslo and what to expect up north. Any advice on what to prepare for would be most appreciated.
(Also any recommendations for must see places, beautiful nature and/or good hiking wise?)

Oh, and how busy should we expect hostels to be around that time of year? Quiet enough that we could just drop in on the day itself and get a twin room, or is booking several days ahead necessary?

Also, Sam (since I suspect you'll read this thread) :) will you be in the country at that time? Would be cool to come drop in for an afternoon and finally meet.

[ Edit: Edited at Aug 1, 2006 3:53 PM by Sander ]

2. Posted by rweb (Budding Member 16 posts) 10y

Hi Sander!

You could actually expect any kind of weather and temperatures at that time of year... and yes, it might already snow in mid September up north at the places you mention. Probably not in the low-land. But in the mountains - definitely. Even here in the south there might be snowing in the mountains in mid September.
So bring warm clothes and raincoats for your trip.

In the south the temperatures may vary from about 8-10 centigrades to 16-17 centigrades during daytime. Could be sunny, could be rainy, it varies a lot, it's impossible to tell.

The tourist season here in Norway peaks in june and july, so in september it should be rather quiet, and no need to book several days ahead.

[ Edit: Edited at Aug 1, 2006 4:37 PM by rweb ]

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4809 posts) 10y

Ok, thanks, very useful!

I know how hard to predict weather like that is, but could you give some very rough estimates for the chance of both snow and generally miserably cold temperatures (less than 5-10 degrees) up north during the day for early as opposed to mid september?

I'm willing to risk it if there's only a 20% chance of the weather being miserable, but if it's closer to 80% chance, I figure we'll have to replan for August next year instead. (And if it's 20% early September versus 80% mid september, we can adjust our itinerary based on that.) :)

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4809 posts) 10y

Another question: Are driving times really as insane as google maps wants us to believe? For example, Trondheim to Mo-i-Rana is 480 km. With the 80km/h speed limit, I'd say that means it's a six hour drive. Add 10% for sitting behind slow trucks and breaks, but not much more.

Google claims a full nine hours. Obviously such differences matter quite a bit when trying to figure out an itinerary. (In this case, it basically means the difference between being able to go that far north, and not being able to do so.)

Help?!

5. Posted by ozman (Full Member 118 posts) 10y

I went out to Bunbury from Kent last week. Google maps said it would take 5 hours to drive 320 kms. "Nah, I'll be there in 3 hours" I thought (I drive fast). After sitting in traffic and roadworks it probably was nearer to 5 hours when I got there. How do they do it?

6. Posted by Jase007 (Travel Guru 8870 posts) 10y

Quoting ozman

I went out to Bunbury from Kent last week. Google maps said it would take 5 hours to drive 320 kms. "Nah, I'll be there in 3 hours" I thought (I drive fast). After sitting in traffic and roadworks it probably was nearer to 5 hours when I got there. How do they do it?

They set the road jam up just for you

Sander, remember that if you get caught speeding in Norway expect it to hurt
And the road is twisty so don't expect to be averaging 80kph.

7. Posted by Braeriach (Budding Member 3 posts) 10y

Driving in Norway (especially in the fjord country) takes a lot longer than you think.

Whilst some of the roads are excellent, a lot of them are "1.5 lanes" wide (i.e. wide enough for two cars to squeeze past, but not at speed). Anyone who has driven on the A86 from Newtonmore to Fort William in Scotland will know the sort of road I mean.

Add to that delays and time taken on ferries, then you know why Google might quote 9 hours.

The best time to visit Arctic Norway is definitely July and August - you will have virtually 24 hours daylight and the scenery is magnificent.

Last year I looked into driving to Lofoten and ended up flying via Oslo instead. Next year I'll probably try and drive up north - but I'm taking four weeks off to do it.

8. Posted by rweb (Budding Member 16 posts) 10y

Oops, sorry about delayed answer, I have not been logged on lately.

I think your question about 20% - 80% chance for bad weather is impossible to answer in an informative way... Difference from early sept. to mid sept is that the days are getting shorter, hence the temperatures will drop - so statistically, the chances for cold weather would be bigger in mid Sept., but during such a short time span, it will not make such a big difference.

I´d say the chances for having 5 - 10 degrees at daytime are quite big, but again, the chances you will have snow, not that big. So probably it will not be much colder than that.

I agree with Braeriach, the white nights are quite unique - the occur in the period from May to August. And if you go a little bit further north, you will even have the midnight sun. But in September, autumn with its beautiful colours has set in. ;)

About driving - well, I checked Michelin, they claim 6h54minutes from Trondheim to Mo i Rana, so you can have your pick... But anyway, don´t expect to be able to keep an average speed of 80 kmph.