Skip Navigation

Can you save money working in oz/NZ

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Can you save money working in oz/NZ

1. Posted by AlexPi (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y


I'm thinking of doing a rtw trip for 6 months starting next April but need to earn about 4/5K first. Instead of working in England, would it be possible to earn this money whilst living out in Australia/ NZ on a working tourist visa? I've got loads of office and bar experience but not sure what temporary job prospects are like out there compared to living costs. Plus how long does it take to get a visa?

Cheers for any help....

2. Posted by rasberries (Inactive 154 posts) 10y

Hey... depends.. I'm sure you could save some money
but you'll wanna eat and have fun too. Alot of times when
applying for temp work visa in oz or hnz theyll want a proof of funds..

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4926 posts) 10y

Theoretically, yes you could do it. But practically, working holiday jobs are basically just a way to stretch the money and continue travelling for a longer time, not a way to actually save up.

The three month limitation means you won't really be hired for any long term (high-paying) jobs, and there's quite some competition for the office jobs as well. (Bar experience might be more useful, although I don't know how much that earns.)

4. Posted by Emmalineau (Full Member 94 posts) 10y

Hey -

Good bar tenders earn between $10 and $25 per hour in Oz. That money is taxable, at a rate of about 15% but the tax free threshold is $6000 and you likely won't make that much! It is possible to get decent bar work in Melbourne or Sydney and in the holiday resorts in Queensland. However, living is not that cheap...depending on where you stay.
Office temping is viable but can take a little while to get a decent position.
Realistically you can rent a room (even short term) for around $125 per week plus utilities in Melbourne and probably about $150 per week in Sydney. A hostel would be a little more.
Try for employment possibilities.

Hope this helps!

5. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4926 posts) 10y

Quoting Emmelineau

but the tax free threshold is $6000

There's no such threshold for non-residents, alas.
(Although if you stay in one city for an appreciable amount of time as a backpacker, you can often rightfully claim to be a resident for tax-purposes.)

6. Posted by Emmalineau (Full Member 94 posts) 10y

Quoting Sander

(Although if you stay in one city for an appreciable amount of time as a backpacker, you can often rightfully claim to be a resident for tax-purposes.)

It's true! Poor non-residents - our dodgy goverment wants to fleece you for all it can!!

The ATO (Australian Tax Office) says the following;

If you are visiting Australia for more than six months and for most of that time work in the one job and live at the same place, you are generally considered an Australian resident for tax purposes.

So, I guess if you could spend 4 or 5 months in one place and then travel around that, you could save up a decent amount of dough!

7. Posted by cork girl (Budding Member 25 posts) 10y

BTW they ahve now changes the visa laws so that you can work for one company for up to 6 months instead of 3. This might give you the option of going for a well paid job to save money with. I ahve been in Melbourne since January and have been finding it hard to save with the high tax I pay and the average wages due to the temp work and 3 months think. They only changed the visa thingy in July. You can claim alot of tax back if you work in the country etc for over 6 months. Their tax forms are a bit confusing so it might be worth getting an accountant but they can be cheap over here anyway.

Good luck and enjoy the experience - Oz is fab!

8. Posted by aimsuk (Full Member 112 posts) 10y

i ended up working for the same people for 6 months before the new laws came in, as they had 2 companies (they just swapped my paperwork over afer 3 months)

9. Posted by kandy (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y

Myself and my partner are currently living in Cairns and working in Subways for $15 an hour! We do get taxed 30% of our wages but we can claim some of it when we leave.

We left the Uk with savings but we've pretty much run out of money now so we're living in Oz for a year and wroking too. We party lots, eat out often and have a lovely apartment and we've still managed to save $2500 in the last two and a half months so it isn't impossible.

It can take a while to find work though so you should think about having at least some savings to fall back on, even if you don't reach your target before you leave.

10. Posted by koalabear (Full Member 121 posts) 10y

It is totally possible to do but it will be really hard as you would want to go out and party, you just can't help yourself from going out when your in oz.

I would probley stay home and get a couple k's together and then head off and work. It will also take the pressure of you when you arrive and are waiting to get work.

You should check out some agencies over there to see what they have to offer. I worked in NZ for awhile and managed to save over a grand in 6 weeks.