Skip Navigation

university abroad!

Travel Forums General Talk university abroad!

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

11. Posted by Bracer7 (Budding Member 7 posts) 12y

As I understand it, and I'm no expert, if you have citizenship of any EU member state you are entitled to travel and work where ever you chose within the EU without the need for a visa.

Might be worth checking the UK governments website:

12. Posted by IMonaghan (Respected Member 431 posts) 12y


Bracer has hit the nail on the head. If you are a citizen of the EU you are allowed to work in any EU country without a work visa.

13. Posted by IMonaghan (Respected Member 431 posts) 12y

Here is an excerpt from the UK's visa website about EU citizens.

European Economic Area (EEA) citizens - the 25 EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway - and Swiss nationals have the right of free movement and residence throughout the EEA. and Switzerland.

There will be only a brief passport or identity card check on arrival in the United Kingdom.

If you stay in the UK other than as a short-term visitor, you can apply for a Residence Permit from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate of the Home Office. This is normally valid for 5 years, confirms your right to live in the UK under European Community Law and allows you to apply for residence documents for any eligible family members with you who are not EEA citizens.

Visa national (citizens of countries that always need visas to enter the UK) family members coming with or joining you need Family Permits, regardless of how long you plan to stay, or your reason for coming.

Non-EEA/Swiss family members who are not visa nationals, coming with or joining you for more than 6 months, need Family Permits before they travel to the UK. A Family Permit is similar to an entry clearance, but is issued free of charge.

Your family members may, of course, come to the UK independently of you, but the normal UK Immigration Rules will apply, including entry clearance requirements.

Although the UK is a member of the EEA, in general, the information here does not apply to British Citizens.

Please see Guidance - EEA & Swiss Nationals for further information

14. Posted by Pam CAN (Inactive 22 posts) 12y

Hi Katie

I have italian citizenship and I worked in england for over 3 years, the only thing that you have to do is to get a National Insunrance Number card when you get there (same as the social security card here) and you can work anywhere you want as many hours you want - and trust me, living in london and being a foreign student (not entitled to a government loan) is damn hard, as it is very very expensive, but is well worth it!

One more thing: do you have already the greek passport? if you don't try to get it ASAP because it might take you a bit to get it.

Take care, Pam

15. Posted by mtlchica (Respected Member 922 posts) 12y

Thanks guys! Ian, that was a lot of great info, you've been a real help ;) I'm going to definately look into getting National Insurance Number Card. And to answer your question Pam, my passport application is being processed as we speak! :)

Katie ;)

16. Posted by Pam CAN (Inactive 22 posts) 12y

Hey Katie so that's all you need kid!
If you decide to go to london there is a newspaper that you can check for accomodation it is called the Loot, they also have a website but they only display 2 days + old ads, so the good stuff is already gone but it will give you some idea of prices and availability

Take care, good luck and may the force be with you!;)

17. Posted by mtlchica (Respected Member 922 posts) 12y

Thanks Pam! (And everyone else that replied to this post!) I send you all HUGS! (insert hugging pic here )

Katie ;)

  • 1
  • 2