Skip Navigation

Malaysian Driver's Licence in Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Malaysian Driver's Licence in Australia

1. Posted by Falco (Budding Member 12 posts) 10y

Hi all,

I'm planning a holiday trip down to Perth in September. The trip involves extensive driving up from Perth to Monkey Mia and back down all the way to Margaret River. I'll be driving a Camper van for almost 10 days. I was wondering if i could use my Malaysian Driver's Licence or will i need an International Driving Permit (IDP)? My current Malaysian licence is not entirely translated to English. It only says "Malaysian Driving Licence" in English.


2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

If your licence is originally in English, or not translated to English, then you need an International Driving Permit.

3. Posted by Falco (Budding Member 12 posts) 10y

I finally called the Australian High Commission in Malaysia and confirmed that Malaysians driving in Australia will need International Driving Permit.

Thanks mojorob!

[ Edit: Edited at Aug 16, 2006 9:22 AM by Falco ]