Could anyone offer some advice for us? My partner and I are stopping off in Slovakia (between trips to Prague and Budapest) from 20th-26th December. We have been looking at staying in Poprad.
We are not ski-ers but enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities. My questions are:
1. Is there enough to do around the Poprad area for a week over the Christmas period that doesn't involve skiing? (I can't find out whether the public transport will be running to visit other villages, or if the weather will be ok for hiking!)
2. Most of the websites I have seen seem to portray Poprad and surrounding towns as quite touristy .. is this the case or will we be able to experience Slovakian life?
3. Do the main train services in Slovakia run as normal on Dec 26th or is there reduced or no service? Ideally we would be travelling to Budapest on the 26th.
I know its a lot of questions ... but thank you very much in advance for your help
1. There is, but are you really sure you want to spend winter in the Tatras? I was there once late october, and I wouldn't recommend doing that to my worst enemy, if only for the cold...
2. Poprad ís touristy, although in a quaint way; already was so 10 years ago. To experience Slovak life (any culture's everyday life?), I'd go to Bratislava or another city. Out on the countryside, tourists are primarily a source of income, which locals tend to cherish rather than behave normally to.
3. As far as I was able to find out, they run normally. Check this website: http://126.96.36.199/internetIKVCWeb/pageFlow/connection/searchConnection.do;ikvcSession=GqDJ5pB8W1lv52p2p1fQ9hJTxJxzfdxbncFhy1lSdn21G7Dr9DtS1TlS67QJ12PfTDyJZ93RQFNFMw2zFhjpNy3lPmprMKv2vKn0!1009065025,
but remember to write place names in Czech/Slovak, even in the english version of the page.
Thanks Niels, that's really useful :-)
I knew it was going to be cold ..... but not as horrible as you say! Maybe its time for a rethink on location?!
I'd say it is... on the up side, there won't be many tourists around in december :-)
You might decide to visit Vienna instead; the cultural season is at its height in december/january, but of course it comes with a rather different price tag...