Skip Navigation

2nd Working Holiday Visas OZ/NZ

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific 2nd Working Holiday Visas OZ/NZ

1. Posted by topdealman (Budding Member 21 posts) 10y

Can anyone answer this Please?

I went on a year long work visa to Australia in 1996 and New Zealand in 2003. Now, I know you can get a second year.

I am now 34, but have enough funds in the bank to qualify for a WHV.

I have recently applied for a new passport. Do you think I will be able to acquire a working holiday visa, for either country? As my passport will be blank.


[ Edit: Edited at Sep 1, 2006 10:17 AM by topdealman ]

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4929 posts) 10y

Unfortunately just your age completely prevents you from getting a WHV.
Even if that wasn't the case, the second WHV for Australia is only available for those who did their first WHV since the rule was instituted. (While New Zealand has, afaik, no second WHV at all; only an extension of the one-in-a-lifetime WHV to a two year period.)

3. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

You don't qualify; too old.

Maybe come out on a tourist visa then try for a 457 temporary work visa. Depending on your skills you might also be eligible for permanent residency.

4. Posted by IamKatie (Budding Member 18 posts) 10y

Majito what it a 457 temporary work visa?

5. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4929 posts) 10y

It's a business sponsored work visa.

6. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

A 457 is a fairly common temporary work visa and the most commonly abused work visa. They keep me quite busy. An Australian business firstly gets approved as a business sponsor then they nominate people that they would like to work for them and 2-3 days later you could have a 4-year working visa. There's a few hoops to jump through and minimum salaries that must be paid. You also have to have an occupation that is on a government issued list. You can get them while you're inside or outside of Australia etc etc.

7. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

Quoting majito

You don't qualify; too old.

This information is not completely accurate - if you are British (which by your profile you are) - and for New Zealand (but not Australia).

There is a 1 year visa, much the same as a WHM visa, for New Zealand offered through BUNAC/IEP for British people aged 18-35. It doesn't matter if you've already held a WHM visa for New Zealand, that doesn't affect eligibility.

Information is located here on the BUNAC website.

8. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

Accurate for Australia. If you wan the visa you have to pay BUNACS fees, which are often quite high, but from what I hear they do a good job in holding your hand.

9. Posted by topdealman (Budding Member 21 posts) 10y

This is great news about the Bunac visa.

Can anyone confirm one thing. I am 35 next May is it possible to get the visa just before my birthday and then like the working holiday visa do I have a certain amount of time to enter NZ, If so How long.


10. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

The BUNAC New Zealand visa for 18-35 yr olds is particular to them, as its been negotiated between the NZ government and BUNAC/IEP. For further details I would suggest checking the link above, and if the info there doesn't answer your questions to contact BUNAC.