Skip Navigation

Translators. Where are they hiding?

Travel Forums General Talk Translators. Where are they hiding?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

This is only a sort of travel question, but anyway

What i am looking for is an official translator, to translate from Dutch, into English or German. My boyfriend is Dutch and we want to get married. In order to do this his doccuments have to be translated. We are finding it difficult to find an official translator, in Germany, or in the Netherlands. Would anybody know where i can find such a person?

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 10y

He has to find a notary, because as far as I know, apart from translation, the translated documents also need to be authenticated...

3. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

Thats true Bentivogli
We have been looking for a notary, for months now. Nobody seems to know where they can be found.

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 10y

There's a lot of freelance translators to be found here (you'll probably need to sign up to see the kind of projects placed there right now, and to place one yourself).
I don't know if there's certain official qualifications such a translator would need to have in order for the translated document to be accepted (given that the document needs to be authenticated afterward, I think you might be safe there), and be aware that - as with everything - you get what you pay for (aka, there's a lot of people there who might not be worth the name "translator"; check their profiles for what experience they have), but despite that I think you'll probably find someone there who can do this translation for you.

Oh, and for a notary, I'd just look in the yellow pages - there's usually quite a few local ones. Might be wise to do that first, as he/she could probably tell you what to look for in the translator.

edit: just asked a friend who's bringing over his American girlfriend (and so doesn't need any translations, but does know about the general rules), and he thinks that the dutch government at least requires the use of certain translators, and suggests calling whichever government department it is that's requiring the translations and asking them directly.

[ Edit: Edited at Sep 7, 2006 7:11 AM by Sander ]

5. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

Thanks very much Sander
Im going to try this, right away.

6. Posted by jekalo (Full Member 118 posts) 10y

As far as I know, there is a notary in virtualy every embassy. Your home countrys embassy should provide this service for a small fee, usually. If you have an official passport it will be free. They should also be able to help you either with the translation or direct you to the right person. I have had documents notarized on 3 different continents at an embassy so I assume they will all offer this service.

7. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 10y

Stick with Sander's tip, but then do the reverse. Since you want to get married for German law (right?), all documents needed should suffice German legal requirements. Maybe your country's Innenministerium has a helpdesk about this?


8. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

Hello Jakalo
We tried the Dutch consulate. They dont seem to have any information for us, at all. We will get married in Denmark(it is easier for foreigners to get married in Denmark, than in Germany). Maybe we should contact the Dutch consolate, in Denmark, instead of the one here.

9. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

Thanks bentavogli
I will try that too.

10. Posted by marlis (Travel Guru 1167 posts) 10y

Hi Mel,
if you go to get married in Daenmark then you should contact the danish Embassy.
We have many people coming to get married here on the Island.
the have to bring all the papers with them,the have to appley for Island resident,the need 5 witnesses,the proof called apostille that the are not married and so on.We have people who arrange this things.If you are divorced you have to show the papers also.
since you live in Germany,you schould go to the Standesamt,there you will get the information what papers you need to get married in Germany.I dont think Freelance translators are acceptet for this kind of translations.
your passport
your papers from the Einwohner Meldeamt (Imigration,where you are registratet if you are legal in Germany)
Birth Cerfiticate
go to the Standesamt,mostly located in the Rathaus.
good luck,