Skip Navigation

EU or international driving licence

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific EU or international driving licence

Last Post This thread is marked as being about New Zealand
1. Posted by Mindy (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Hey, I have a restricted New Zealand driving licence is there ayway i can get an international or EU driving licence? Does anyone know how to gog about doing this??

2. Posted by Jase007 (Travel Guru 8870 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Mindy, there is no such thing as a EU driving licence (well not as yet, but give it time). If you are resident in an EU country, you may use your own licence for a period of 12mths, after which you are required to transfer your licence to that of the country you are resident in.
For the UK this is done through the DVLA.
Hope this help you

3. Posted by TravelMc (Full Member 93 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

You might be a bit stuck with a restricted licence. I'm not sure if you can get an International Licence on anything under a full licence. You can ask at the licencing agent in your area - they can tell you all the information you need. You will have to exchange it for a 'local' one after 12 months though or any insurance you have will not be valid. Be ware that in the UK and many other countries insurance is mandatory.

4. Posted by carosterns (Respected Member 159 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Mindy, are you planning to live in an EU country or just travelling through???

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7