Skip Navigation

1. Posted by blue112 (Budding Member 25 posts) 10y

sorry these are probably really basic silly questions but i don't know much about visas! (as you can probably tell.

Do you only need a visa for Australia if you're there for a long time? or do you need one no matter how long your there for? and whats the maximun you can stay there, or does that depend on if you are working there etc.

thanks for any help.

[ Edit: Edited at Sep 30, 2006 3:04 PM by blue112 ]

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4931 posts) 10y

If you want to go on vacation to Australia for up to three months (can be extended to six months, I think), you need a (badly named) ETA (or a tourist visa).
If you're under 30, and want to stay in Australia for up to a year (can be extended with a second year if you do a minimum of three months seasonal work (fruit-picking e.a.)) with the possibility to work for up to six months at the same job, you need a working holiday visa (which is a breeze to apply for, and what most travellers on this website use, with the caveat that you can only have one in a lifetime).

3. Posted by blue112 (Budding Member 25 posts) 10y

thanks for your help

can u get ETA or tourist visa more than once in a lifetime though?

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4931 posts) 10y

Yes, that's just a regular visa which you can get pretty much always (I suspect that after using it a couple of times, they'll have a requirement that you have to leave the country for more than a certain amount of time before applying for it again, but you won't ever hit that unless you're trying to game the system).

5. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

You can get a 2nd working holiday visa if you work for 3-months in a regional area of Australia doing harvest related work. There's a blog on this site if you want more info