Does any one have any comments/suggestions about my itenary?
I want to do as much overland travel in SEA as possible to provide opportunities for stumbling off the beaten path/having experiences not included in my Lonely Planet. I also attempted to avoid backtracking where possible. Id love to hear about things to do and avoid in any of these places as well as anything I dont have listed that I shouldn't miss. My interests are treckking/scuba/beaches/climing/vipassana
I should be leaving In mid-january with $7000 after I buy a ticket to Thailand. I will be traveling until my $ runs out or until I am ready to come home (figure 6-8 months). If I decide to continue traveling after running out of cash I can teach english in Japan with out a TEFL certificate.
Fly into Bangkok and head south
stopping at one of the Kos
-reccomendations for a less touristy island?
- get PADI certified somewhere, reccomendations for East or West coast in January?
Head over to Krabi
-do some climbing
- cross into Malasia at Sungai Kolok
-this was a recent addition to my list as it was highly reccomended by a friend... reccomendations?
- snorkeling in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- trecking in Taman Negara Natl. park
- Fly out of Kuala Lampur to Bangkok
Head up to Nong Khai and cross in Laos
- Vang Vieng
- Maung Sing
- then id like to hop on a boat and float down the Mekong...any reccomendations on where to do this?
- chill out in Don Det
- Cross into Cambodia at Voen Kham
- Perhaps head over to Ban Lung
- Definatly go to Angkor Wat
- Phnom Penh
- perhaps go to Sihanoukville
- Cross into Vietnam at Bavet
Basically northbound through Vietnam stopping at
- Da Lat
- Nha Trang
- Pleiku (my dad was stationed there)
- Ha Long Bay
- Ha Noi for a Flight to Nepal, Japan or India depending on how much cash I have left and what month it is.
Thanks for any input.