Skip Navigation

Working Holiday Visa?

Travel Forums North America Working Holiday Visa?

1. Posted by Neily03 (Full Member 110 posts) 10y

Is there some sort of working holiday visa available for the US? I've tried looking on the US immigration websites but can't really see anything? If there is one how hard are these to get for British citizens?


2. Posted by Neily03 (Full Member 110 posts) 10y

Also is there something similar for Canada?

3. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 10y

For Canada, non-students aged 18-35 are able to obtain the equivalent of a working holiday visa, but as far as I'm aware only through the organisation BUNAC. Visa numbers are limited, and they tend to go fairly quickly (I think they've just opened up the applications for 2007).

For the US, there is no working holiday visa - the options are limited mainly to J1 Visa programmes such as the summer camp counsellor options through various organisations (BUNAC, CCUSA, Camp America etc.). There are more options for full-time students.

4. Posted by MikeW (Budding Member 38 posts) 10y

You need a J1 visa for the US. But there are rules for qualifying (basically you have to be a student or on an exchange program).

Here's the US State Dept. web site for J visas.

There are other types as well depending on specific situations. But mainly you have to be a Hollywood star.