I am a 35yr old woman who is taking a career break to volunteer in Thailand and Cambodia for 3mnths. As this is my first proper solo trip (not a package deal!!!) I am a little anxious so have a few questions.
1. Arrive in BKK 14 April - I've read about Khao san Rd re accom - any recommendations for 3 nights? up to £10 a night.
2. Top things to see in two days?
3. Will fly to Siem Reap from BKK - not sure exact date I will want to - fly back to BKK - is it worth getting two single flights or are dates easy to change?
4. I will have two days off a week in Siem Reap - advice on things to do other than Angkor Wat (will do this first).
5. I have a week free after I finish volunteering in Cambodia? Should I see more of Cambodia or in Thailand?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks in advance
maybe I can help you with at least some of your questions:
1. I prefer the hostels in Soi Rambuttri behind the temple - it's not so busy there as in the neigbouring Khao San Road, the Guesthouses there are quite alright and not expensive, for example "Oh Bangkok", Green House Guesthouse, ...
2. Wat Pho Temple, King's Palace, Golden Mount, Siam Center (shopping centers), China Town, ...
3. You can book your return flight in a travel agency in Siem Reap, should be no problem to get a flight for the following day.
Filika - Best regards,
I agree that Soi Rambuttri is a much nicer street to stay on thatn koh san road as it is a lot quiter....but not too quiet.
4. Other things I did in siem reap included visiting the land mine museum and giving blood at the kantha bopha childrens hospital.
5. Phnom Penh is definately worth a visit as the royal palace is nice and it is very interesting (and upsetting) to see the killing fields and the former prison (cant remember name). Also they have a shooting range where you can fire AK47's, tommy guns, anti aircraft guns, M30's and throw grenades etc which is an experience!
From here you could go down to sihanoukville to the beach for a few days relaxation before you head home.
Have a fantastic trip,
Alternatively you could just go and spend a week in the island in southern thailand....i would recommend koh phi phi and koh lanta