Skip Navigation

surviving in germany as a student!

Travel Forums Europe surviving in germany as a student!

1. Posted by camoraza (Budding Member 8 posts) 10y

Any tips on how to figure out means of subsistence while studying in germany as a foreign (non EU) student would be great!
Anything that you might have learned from personal experience or heard from others. thanks!

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 10y

Social security level is at 345 EUR plus rent for one month. Since as a student you have to cover cost for books, local transport and other stuff as well, this budget can be a bit tight, but still manageable. Rent can be anything from 150 EUR to 450 EUR.

Try to find a university in a town with realtively low cost of living and with cheap accomodation and things will be easier. Look in the East of Germany and in smaller towns. If you want a big city, look at Berlin but avoid Munich or Frankfurt am Main.

You will also be allowed to work a certain number of hours in order to supplement your income, usually no more than 15 hours a week or 90 days full time/180 days part-time per year.

Nevertheless the main source of income has to be your parents, relatives within Germany or your own savings. Alternatively you could apply for a scholarship from several institutions sponsoring gifted foreign students on to masters or PhD. One such organisation is the DAAD.

3. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y

Hello Nistrika

Do u speak English, as a first language?
If so, u can get a TEFL qualification quickly, and teach English, as a foreign language.
Maybe u can take a TEFL course, in your own country, before arriving in Germany. It might also be possible to do the course, in Germany. I am not sure.

Otherwise, u can work in bars and cafes, frequented by tourists. Also, u may be able to get work as a cleaner. There are agencies which can get u those jobs.


4. Posted by camoraza (Budding Member 8 posts) 10y

Thank you so much for the tips!

5. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 10y

Another thing that is valuable to know: if you intend to do a full degree in Germany, you have to pass a test in German first before you will be allowed to sign up at uni.

This test is called DaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache - German as a foreign language). See the website fro more info:

In most cities with a uni there is one or two places where they offer courses that prepare you for DaF.