Skip Navigation

How do I stay in Berlin for longer that 90 days?

Travel Forums Europe How do I stay in Berlin for longer that 90 days?

1. Posted by b_mitch (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y

I want to stay in Berlin for longer than 3 months, I am not getting married or have a job that will help me. I play music in NYC and want to do the same in Berlin. If I have health insurence in Germany and a residence, what else would I need? Thanks, Brian

2. Posted by camoraza (Budding Member 8 posts) 10y

hm, have you tried applying for an extension to your visa?

3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 10y

First off, what nationality are you? If you are an US-citizen you are lucky. All you need to do is to go to Ausländerbehörde in Berlin and apply for a residency permit and a work permit. For a US-citizen this is pretty hassle-free, if you can prove that you have enough savings to get by without work if you need to. Also tell them that you intend to work as a self-employed freelance artist, maybe giving them the adress of a few places where you intend to play. (Basically you have to prove that it is "in public interest" for the German authorities to give you a work permit. Hint: A good way to do this is to volunteer to teach music to children for free.)

The people at Ausländerbehörde should be able to tell you where to go and what papers to bring. Be warned that the local Ausländerbehörde in Berlin has a very bad reputation, so if they give you a hard time, just try it in another city in Germany.