Have been thinking about doing this one for a while because every so often we add in some new features. I would just like to make everyone aware of the things we add as we add them.... on the one hand to let members know we keep working to make this a better, more interesting site, on the other hand so to let those who log in sporadically to find out what is new etc. Last but not least... for some moral support every now and then a member might post a reply saying whether they like something or absolutely hate it; let's hope the first!
Anyway, new things I can remember us adding in the past two months or so:
- TRAVEL TOOLS page with links to trip planning, travel tips, packing list and packing tips pages. There are also links to the different travel products under this page, of which we have recently added a few including Travel Insurance, Train tickets for Europe and Adventure Tours worldwide.
- PRIZE TRIP page. We are giving away three all inclusive days in Turkey for one lucky winner and a friend. This is currently only linked to under the travel tools page.
- WORK AND TRAVEL AUSTRALIA feature. Based on a few years helping backpackers in Australia, this feature contains heaps of tips useful before, during and after travelling to Australia as a backpacker. Currently only linked to under the Travel tools page as well.
- Direct search option for a user to search and read someone's diary and/or send them a message. This is part of the welcome page you end up on after logging in.
- With the new launch, we also launched the possibility to choose your own template based on the functions you use the most. Accessible through the Control Panel on the left.
- Dutch booking pages for the hostels....courtesy of an active Dutch member who translated all the country names
Hmm, that is about what I can think of at the moment. More is on the way.... and any tips from anyone out there are also VERY welcome!
As of today, there is an improved set up for tour bookings worldwide. Some pretty neat ones are included.... any feedback on the tours if ever done by anyone is always welcome. If at the very least, the tours pages serve as a great indication of prices for various types of tours in different areas...great when planning
The link is www.travellerspoint.com/tours.cfm and just follow the click throughs.... you can also get there through the site map located at the bottom of each page or through the travel tools page.
I added a Currency Converter to the Travel Tools section.
A new "Spam blocker" has been added to the messaging area. Hopefully it won't have to be used a lot but what the function basically does is block a user from sending any more messages once they have been flagged as a Spammer by any member. Pete and myself then receive a message saying someone has been blocked and a copy of the message. We can then undo the block if it is a mistake. Otherwise, the user will not be able to send any more messages.
Some changes have been made in the accommodation area. The main one is the division of different types of accommodation. Whereas previously everything was just called a hostel, now you can choose specific types, namely campsites, hostels, budget hotels, guesthouses (bed & breakfasts) and apartments. Or you can just choose to search all types bunched together like it used to be. We think it is a useful feature as there were a lot of folks getting results they weren't really after! Let us know what you think...
AND, as of today, thanks to our very vigilent member Kim Daalhuizen, we can now boast a Spanish translation of our popular budget accommodation (hostel) booking engine!
Thanks Kim for your work translating all country names into Spanish as well as the texts The link can be found under the ACCOMMODATION tab at the top of your page.
More is coming soon....
Sam I Am
More changes to the Accommodation area!
We have now included a third party engine which allows bookings at hotels (nearly 6000) and also a last minute hotel booking engine which offers heavily discounted rates if you are looking for accommodation within 20 days. Both of these services also have a customer service area which is great.
We ended up changing the ACCOMMODATION link at the top of the page and now differentiating between Budget Accommodation and these new Hotel pages. In total there are now over 12 500 properties worldwide bookable, many at great rates!
More changes coming soon...