Skip Navigation

working travel insurance

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific working travel insurance

1. Posted by vickyvic85 (Budding Member 14 posts) 10y

vickyvic85 has indicated that this thread is about Australia


needing a bit of advice! i am looking round for 1 year working holiday insurance, i have looked on various websites but cant decide!

i am wanting to work as a swimming instructor or lifeguard but willing to take on whatever comes along!

i doubt i will be doing many dangerous sports.

i just want to make sure i get the right policy!!

any advice gladly taken

2. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 10y

I'm pretty sure you'll find lots of threads on this using the forum search function. It's also slightly dependent on where you're from as there is a lot more choice (at good rates) when you're travelling out of England vs. say Norway.

I know a few members on Travellerspoint purchase the World Nomads one exactly for some of the reasons you outline (personally I like the fact it covers cameras/ipods etc. and they do most things online), but seeing as they are one of our partners, I understand you might be wary about my saying they are good

I've also heard good things about Endsleigh which is uk based, but don't know what kind of prices etc. they offer.

3. Posted by milt1978 (Budding Member 32 posts) 10y

Hi Vic,

I had a similar issue.... and all i seem to talk about here is Insurance but i spent so long hunting for it that i seem to have discovered/solved most other peoples issues (to much spare time).

The hardest part with travel insurance is that most policies don't cover you to work and when you're travelling on a Work visa its kind of important. make sure you read the small print, cheap doesn't necessarily mean best!

There are some great threads on this site that cover most UK/Irish companies have a search on some of the previous, makes a good read.

Good luck


4. Posted by ikey (Full Member 172 posts) 10y

Hi vicky, if you are asking about medical insurance (it sounds like you are by your post) then I'm pretty sure if you have a wroking holiday visa you will be covered by Medicare while you are in Aus.
I know that I was covered by NHS in the UK.

5. Posted by milt1978 (Budding Member 32 posts) 10y

Quoting ikey

I'm pretty sure if you have a wroking holiday visa you will be covered by Medicare while you are in Aus.

Medicare only covers you for immediate urgent treatment, it doesn’t cover ambulance fees etc, etc.... check the Medicare site