Skip Navigation

How will I get to Italy to do Photography?

Travel Forums Europe How will I get to Italy to do Photography?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by L'artista (Budding Member 9 posts) 9y

Ok, I have been saving up to move to italy, but I am only a 19 year old, young woman and travelling by myself is a scary issue for me. My dream is to become a photographer and travel the world, but I have not the slightest clue of how I am going to do this. I have been living on my own for awhile, and the job I have is definitely what I call a waste of time. I do not like the town I live in and I know that moving to italy would be best for me. I already know a few people in Salerno, but they do not know how to help me. I am going insane living here in such a small town. I have moved from place to place and have absolutely no one to guide me in the right direction. I made sure I obtained my passport and I have researched italy so much, I know that country by heart. My family is orginally from there, but I do not know how to contact my cousins who live in San' arcangelo. I really would like some advice on how to move to italy and to be safe while doing it. I won't give up on my dream of becoming a professional photographer and I definitely want to see the world. Meeting new people is what I love to do, and I am sure I can make it to italy on my own, but having a person to travel with would be even better. So any advice I can get, will be most appreciated.

2. Posted by Herr Bert (Moderator 1384 posts) 9y

There are a few things you need to do.

You need to decide what kind of a photographer you want to be. Shooting pics for a nature magazine, or a fashion magazine need different skills. Do you have those skills? If not work on them, learn them.

Photographers are usualy (at leat that is my guess), freelance workers, so besides being good at making pictures, you also need to be good at selling them.

You also need to find out if you are allowed to work in Italy (the EU), and if you can live there. As you would have an own business, they might be more easily to say no, than if you could get a job in Italy. It might help that your roots are Italian. (but I am not sure).

If don't know the language already (you don't say), learn it, because you will need it.

Maybe you can find out, if there are exchange programms, you can participate in, or some kind of a course that takes you to Italy for a longer period.

One last thing: Keep dreaming, it is the desire to do something, that guides us, some people call it a dream, others a goal. (don't trust people, that tell you to stop dreaming). Find out what criteria are required to become, what (and who) you want to be, and lay out a route how to get there.

Good luck.

3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 9y

The best way for you to move to Italy would be to seek a college for photography or art in Italy and start studying there. If you do this, you could apply for a student visa to Italy, which gives you certain privileges. Like an instant study-related residency permit and a limited work permit.

If you graduate from such a college with a Bachelors degree or similar, the Italian authorities will be more likely to grant you a full work permit. If you then can prove that you can support yourself on your work in Italy, you will be granted an unconditional and unlimited residency permit.

[ Edit: Edited on Feb 17, 2007, at 8:19 PM by t_maia ]

4. Posted by farleyUL (Full Member 125 posts) 9y

That's very good advice for doing free lance photography work...what do you all know about obtaining some sort of professional job (in the field of finance or economics) or a job as a professor? Is it possible for an American to just move to Europe and do this? How difficult is it? If you prove that you can support yourself via a temporary work permit and then are granted a residency permit and you have children while living in another country in the EU, are your children then residents of that country? I assume you personally would retain your status as a US citizen, correct? I'm going to study abroad in the Netherlands so I think I'll really get a taste of whether or not I'd like to permanently relocate to the EU, but it's always been appealing to me and I'd love to find out more information in regard to whether not it's feasible. Thanks for any advice!

[ Edit: Edited on Feb 20, 2007, at 4:26 PM by farleyUL ]

5. Posted by S_Deisler (Respected Member 266 posts) 9y

I have a friend who's originally from Belarus, and has been studying in Prague for a year. As you know Belarus isn't part of the EU, but she managed to obtain a student visa, as she could get into Prague's university.

I think the studying thing could be a good idea, but for the way you explained the whole thing I don't think your aim is to be studying in Italia, but working on what you like. I really don't know, just posted this cause it reminded me of my Belarussian friend.

6. Posted by Herr Bert (Moderator 1384 posts) 9y

We have to seperate two things here.

1. Working in the EU
2. Living long-term in the EU

1. For working you need a permit, but you don't need a Visa. there basicly two options. a working/holiday permit, that will last a year. But in case holiday should be the main objective. You should also have a return ticket, and proof that you have enough funds to cover your stay.

2. Yes, you can apply for a stay in the Netherlands if you want to set up your own business, but there are a lot of conditions. You need enough money, you have to set up a new business, and you need to prove that you have the skills to set up a business, and you can't be older than 60. For more information you need to check the Dutch embassy in your country. This site will already give you some information:

As I understand it, you children will get the Dutch nationality if the parents are both Dutch. Of course you will remain you original nationality, unless you decide to file a request to become Dutch. (after that, it would still take some time, before you will get the Dutch nationality)

7. Posted by L'artista (Budding Member 9 posts) 9y

Thanks for the advice, but where did all the netherland talk come into place. I wanted just an answer about moving to italy and being a photographer. And yes I am already in the knowledge of photography and art..I do not need a school and I know the language well. I think I should have been more particular in what I need advice on..that is actually finding a place to live in italy and a job. That way I can then work on my citizenship there. Well, I have alot of research to do...thanks again and anymore advice would be so helpful.

8. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 9y

Quoting L'artista

I wanted just an answer about moving to italy and being a photographer. And yes I am already in the knowledge of photography and art..I do not need a school and I know the language well.

If you have good command of Italian, try searching online for the laws regarding foreigners in Italy. This will help you a lot more than I can do with immigration issues, as I only know the underlying Schengen regulations. Try to get in contact with Italian photographers and other foreigners living in Italy (there have got to be forums online).

Unfortunately for you I still think you should come to Italy as a student, as it will make getting all your papers easier. It could be a 6-months course or similar in advanced fashion photography. Otherwise, getting a residency permit and a work permit is hard. In Germany you would definitely need a work permit to do freelance photography work, whether you need one in Italy I do not know. Search in Italian online.

If you do not wish to come as a student to Italy, you could come visa-free on the visa-waiver programme. You would be allowed to stay 90 days. After these 90 days are over, you need to leave the Schengen states. (I suggest going to either Switzerland or Tunisia, depending where you are in Italy and upon your budget.)You'll need to stay outside the Schengen area for a full 90 days until you can return to Italy.

While you are in Switzerland or Tunisia, go through the immigration process for Italy. Ie you apply for a D or a D+C Italian Schengen visa valid for 6+ months at the Italian embassy. (Good luck with that!)

Also try to get some qualifications teaching English before you leave, so that if you cannot find work as a photographer you have a fallback position.

There should be a website of the Italian unemployment agency online giving the outline of social insurance in Italy. They should also have a section for Europeans seeking jobs in Italy. Check that out, it might have helpful tips.

9. Posted by L'artista (Budding Member 9 posts) 9y

Thank you so much!! I guess I have alot of things to research now. I will look into a school, that sounds way easier. Wow, moving to a different country is very difficult.

10. Posted by farleyUL (Full Member 125 posts) 9y

Thanks for the advice, but where did all the netherland talk come into place.

Sorry about that, I think inadvertently hijacked your thread! I hope everything works out for you and getting to Italy. It sounds incredible.