Hey folks, i'm visiting America for the first time on the 12th july for 3 weeks with my wife on our honeymoon, and altho i get snipits of advice from my own englishmen who have travelled over there i dont think i can do any better than ask you yanks for the help to make this a dream trip of partying, rocking and relaxing. So if you could answer a few questions and suggest places to go for 2 rock and metal lovers with a massive sence of adventure we would be very greatful and i'l invite you over for a cuppa tea some time.
we are taking in only 3 main cities... LAS VEGAS, L.A AND SAN FRAN... what i would like to know is
1) how long is the drive from L.V to L.A and how many miles as i cant wait to hire a mustang out on a 68 plate. (nobody does cars like the americans)
2) how long is the drive from L.A to San Fran (this is all doing a steady 70miles per hour in english money) just wana know roughly how long it will take
3) i intend leaving the car in San Fran and then flying back to Las Vegas, what i need to know is how often and how available flights are from san fran to las vegas and how much roughly cuz i aint dead sure what days we will be there so i'm a little reluctant to pre book.
4) now the important stuff..... wheres the rock and metal at in all 3 cities and where will we find the hardest parties.....
any tips, secrets or local legends 2 rookie english travelers may need to know we would be greatful for.
many thanks for your help in advance.
Daz T and Emma
PS, for what its worth we are 30 and from Nottingham so we spend most weekends in Rock City.. music hero's are David Bowie and fave bands are 2 many to mention but love a bit of everything from Heavy metal, Nu metal, hard rock, glam n cock rock and hardcor punk plus pop punk.
n kid rocks fukin great
Taking a deep breath to prepare for this, I'm usually long winded enough when people only ask me one question, but I'll try to stick to the point here.
1. LV to LA is about a 300 mile drive along I 15 which is a pretty major highway out there. It should take you about 4 - 5 hours to drive between the two, plus some extra time coming into LA cause of traffic.
2. LA to SF is about 400 miles and should also take about 5 hours plus a little time to clear local traffic. This route you follow I 5... if you're looking to make good time. I 5 is the major North South Route on the west coast of the US and will take you as far as Canada if you get a bug up your arse.
2.5 If you drive 70 miles per hour between LA and SF then most California drivers are gonna try to get you to drive on the shoulder of the road to get you out of the way. I'd recomend around 90 there to keep up with traffic on open stretches of the road.
3. There are 3 airports in the Bay Area (close to San Fran) if you look at flights from all three of those airports to Las Vegas there are about 75 flights daily, ranging from 100 - 150 dollars US... the airports are San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. I prefer the Oakland airport of the three, but that's just me.
4. being a fellow metalhead, I think Las Vegas's music scene is somewhat dull, and the really good Vegas parties are on holidays (I went there for New Years Eve on Y2K and it was insane). The city is always up and going but most of the action is in the casinos along the strip, which tends to bore me, but if you're into gambling I'm sure you'll love it.
LA has a great music scene, and I'd have to go look at old fliers I have to find the name of the good bars to go to for music. I saw Biohazard and Pissing Razors there once in one weekend... On Monday I felt like I had just returned from war. I'll do my best to remember to dig through my box of crap tonight and find the name of some good venues there.
San Francisco is my favorite place of the three you listed, but I don't know a whole lot about the music scene there. There is a lot of cool stuff to check out there though. I think it's Pier 29 (I could be mistaken) that's the center of "tourist" type action there.. but most of the insane clubs they have there that you see on TV are closer to the Bay bridge, which was actually a pretty dodgy part of town at night, but was worth getting into when I was in the mood for a wild night.
My best piece of advice at this point is to limit your time in Las Vegas(unless you really like gambling) and spend more in LA and even more in SF, but that's just me.
best of luck
one more thing.. a quick list of bands playing LA in mid to late July..
Brujeria at the Key Club July 14th
Static X at the Key Club July 21st
Ozzfest 2004 July 31st...(that should be a Great party)
Ozzfest has a great lineup this year... just the second stage by itself would be a great show... feat... Hatebreed, Slipknot, Lamb of God, Magna-Fi and Otep, plus others.... That's just the second stage.
1st stage feat Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, and others.
Anyways... I'm not gonna drag on too much about LA's great music scene, but send me a message if you want me to dig up more shows and dates for you..
I'm just looking at the ozzfest site for this year, I might have to try to make a show... it's their best lineup in a while. (www.ozzfest.com)
I agree with most of what IMonaghan said (except I can't vouch for the metal/punk thing!!)... but I do have a couple of points to add:
1) It depends on WHERE in LA you will be leaving from to get to either Vegas or SF. Make sure you find out about the local traffic patterns. I took me nearly three hours just to cross the city the last time I drove through.
2) I would agree also with IMonaghan about the fact that Vegas can get a bit boring - but that is after a while. If you have NEVER been to the city of sin, it is definatley a must-see - a little peice of Americana unlike anywhere else in the world! And if you are like most British blokes that I know - you will really enjoy the free drinks that come with gambling (either at the tables or at the slot machines). Just be careful with your money - its really easy to lose!! If you just want some fun and don't really believe that you can strike it rich, set yourself a limit... just a little unsolicited advice
3) I would actually say that it could take 6 hours from LA to San Fran and again, make sure you figure in the local traffic patterns. Of course, if you have the time, riding along the CA coastline is just amazing and breathtaking, but it will add a lot more time to your drive. Its just an idea. But the coastline is for peace and appreciation of mother nature - not necessarily the pursuit of metal and punk (if your rental car comes with satellite radio, you could have both)!!
4) you can check the following websites for prices on flights - they will keep changing as you get closer to your departure date, but at least you can get a rough idea. I think it also depends on whether or not you take weekend or weekday flights: www.expedia.com, www.travelocity.com, www.orbitz.com, www.cheaptickets...
I hope this helps! Have a great trip.
being a native of california, i can say that you have to factor in what time of day you hit, especially the bay area. that drive can take you anywhere from 6 to 10 hours.
heathers right, the coastline drive is beautiful, but at times VERY slow and much longer.
sf has tons of stuff for a music junky to see. the gilman in berkeley is a must for any punk fan (924 gilman st...plenty of online information), and both cities have a lot to offer.
have fun and enjoy the west coast!
you lot av just made my night... not just help but detailed help which ya must of gone out your way for..... realy!! thank you.
interested in seeing static x in L.A for sure and yes, if you do have any itineries for clubs n pubs that would be mint. Static X is one of the few bands i have not seen live yet cuz there uk tour consists of one date in London and the capital of rock, metal, punk and parties is Nottingham Rock City.
i cant believe the drive from L.A to san fran is so short.... looked loads longer than the drive from vegas to L.A..... anyway i am in no rush whatsoever and would love nothing more than to take the scenic routs at the cost of a few hours.
so far our itenery is roughly this
arive las vegas mon night... do mon tues wed in vegas then hire the jam jar and get down to L.A for thurs fri sat sun mon tues then off to san fran tues night wed thurs fri sat sun mon... ditch the jam and get the mary jane back to Las Vegas to finish off befor goin home for a cuppa with me mom.
10 nights vegas
6 nights L.A
5 nights san fran
well once again thank you so far but please, carry on... any information is going to handy.
PS, wheres the drugs at... all classes