I'm going to visit Budapest in April. Could someone help me, please. What to see, where to go not far from the city, another towns, which are worthy to see. I'll appreciate deeply any information about Hungary and Budapest.
Thanks in advance
[ Edit: Edited on Feb 28, 2007, at 11:16 PM by Svetla ]
Top 10 things to do:
1. Buda Castle: Home of the Hungarian kings.
2. House of Parliament: One of the biggest parliamentary building in the world. The building can be seen on guided tours.
For more info: http://www.parlament.hu/parl_en.htm
3. St. Stephen's Basilica: Beautiful church. Don't miss the cupola visit.
4. Citadella on the Gellért Hill: It offers great views of both Buda hill and Pest side of the city.
5. Baths: I suggest Széchenyi or Gellért Bath.
6. Sightseeing Cruise http://www.mahartpassnave.hu/
7. Fisherman's Bastion: It also offers great view.
8. Heroes' Square: Biggest square in Budapest
9. Market Hall: This is a very large indoor market.
10. Synagogue: Budapest synagogue is the world's second largest and Europe's largest synagogue.
Another suggested towns closer to Budapest:
- Gödöllő http://www.kiralyikastely.hu/
For more tips check this: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Hungary/Budapest_Fovaros/Budapest-436839/TravelGuide-Budapest.html
[ Edit: Edited on Mar 1, 2007, at 1:13 AM by bazsi ]
One thing I love about Budapest are the Turkish baths. So if the weather is cold, make sure to visit them, to warm up.
Thanks a lot I'll visit all of that places!! especially Baths)
I have more questions
How can I reach the Szentendre, Visegrád, Gödöllő?
and from airport, can I get the city center by train, bus or metro? I don't find any information about that point.
And I'm interested in fortresses, citadel, castles and ruins do you know most tremendous in Hungary.
Thanks a lot!
[ Edit: Edited on Mar 1, 2007, at 4:45 AM by Svetla ]
Last time I was in Budapest, I flew in. It was very easy to get from the airport, to the city centre. There was a place in the airport, with a sign about the busses. But that was 8 years ago.
From the airport to the city:
To Szentendre take the suburban train called HÉV (direction Szentendre) from Batthyány tér or use boat from Vigadó Square (http://www.mahartpassnave.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHART@@EN@@115@@692262184).
To Visegrád you can go by boat (http://www.mahartpassnave.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHART@@EN@@113@@692262184).
To Gödöllő you can go by suburban train from Örs Vezér Tere (final stop of Metro 2).
More Budapest tips:
Hungarian National Museum: An excellent museum in which to learn a lot about Hungarian history and culture.
Margaret Island: The Margaret Island (Margit-sziget) is the perfect area for relaxing walks between plenty of old trees. Some historical monuments like the ruins of two 13th century churches, a water tower and a Japanese Garden can be found on the island. Last but not least the island offers nice views to the banks of the Danube.
Funicular: A short 2-minute tram ride up or down the side of the hill, between the foot of Chain Bridge and to the entrance of the Royal Palace.
Buda Castle Labyrinth: http://www.labirintus.com/
Gerbeaud confectionary & restaurant: Best coffee house int Budapest. http://www.gerbeaud.hu/