Skip Navigation

Obtaining a Work Visa in the Netherlands

Travel Forums Europe Obtaining a Work Visa in the Netherlands

1. Posted by farleyUL (Full Member 125 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

How would one go about doing this and what are the odds that it may work out? Maybe just to teach english or something to that effect for four months or so.


2. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Getting a visa for Netherlands that allows you to work, may be difficult if you only hold a USA passport.

If you are lucky enough to be holding (or be able to obtain) a second passport - you may have a few options.

EU nationals can live, work and play in the Netherlands without restrictions. For more details on the European Union visit the European Union website at

Alternatively, The Netherlands has a working holiday visa available to Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians aged between 18 and 30 years inclusive that allows a stay of up to one (1) year. For more details contact your nearest Royal Netherlands Embassy or Consulate General or visit

If you do hold an Aussie, Kiwi or Canadian passport, to get a working holiday visa you have to prove:
- Your main intention is to holiday and take incidental work.
- You are between 18 to 30 years inclusive.
- You are single or married without children.
- You have sufficient funds to support yourself during your initial stay.
- You have a return or onward ticket or sufficient funds to purchase a ticket to leave the country at the end of your stay.

Further, a working holiday visa will only be issued once in your life time therefore, make the most of your time in the Netherlands.

If none of these options are availabole to you, I'd suggest one of two options:
1. Travel to the Netherlands on a tourist visa, then try to get a job when you get there - your employer may be able to help you change your visa status.
2. Contact BUNAC to discuss work options with volunteer visas -

Do keep in mind though that there's currently a shortage of cheap housing in the Netherlands - so it may prove to be an expensive place to stay for a long period of time. Also the majority of people in Netherlands speak a very high level of English - in fact High school students have to take all thier final exams in English.

Good luck!!:)

3. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

... oh and you might also want to check out the anywork anywhere website... could be a good resource:

4. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

forget about it if you don't have a EU nationality as well; Dutch labour market is very protective.

5. Posted by farleyUL (Full Member 125 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I'm actually asking on behalf of my girlfriend. I'll be studying abroad in Den Hague and would love to bring my girlfriend along to live with me for the duration (3 - 4 months) so we can experience Europe together.

Unfortunately, we only hold US passports so it does seem that her getting a job over there would be unlikely. I do plan on flying her over at some point so if she finds work, maybe she could hole up with me for a while.

Since we're on the subject - what about a Residence Permit? From what I've read, if you stay in the Netherlands for longer than 3 months. I will be there between three and a half and four months. I do plan on traveling in the Netherlands and also around Europe when we get breaks from classes or on weekends. I've heard that you can avoid paying the 430 eu. for the Residence Permit by traveling outside the European Union (to England, for instance) before the 3 month mark and get your passport stamped there. Is there any truth to this? When do the authorities check for your Residence Permit and what's the penalty for getting caught living in the Netherlands without it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions - this board is so incredibly helpful. I do visit the US board and give my input there, I try to give as much information as I take. Thanks!!

6. Posted by Facsimile (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Another thing you have to realise is that in the Netherlands most people already speak English so your services are moot. They learn English mainly in regular schools. The Dutch are perfectly qualified to teach English themselves so really this is not an avenue to explore. I am in the Netherlands but I am sponcered by my partner.

It is pretty impossible to come here as a US citizen unless you have a doctorate, work for a US company that does business here, have sufficient funds and start a business that suits Dutch interest.... Pretty slim.

Maybe if you attend university here you can work very part time and MAY be able to work here after graduation.

I know itisn't good news but that is all I can say and believe me I checked everywhere.

7. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Quoting Facsimile

Maybe if you attend university here you can work very part time and MAY be able to work here after graduation.

Forget about that, too. It's presently still VERY hard for graduates to find jobs in other fields than medicin or computing. Sorry to keep having to disappoint you, but there's not a chance in hell that your gf gets a work visa. Well, at least you guys can visit NL as tourists :)


[ Edit: Edited on Apr 20, 2007, at 12:01 AM by bentivogli ]