Skip Navigation

Advice Needed about Work/Travel in Oz/NZ

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Advice Needed about Work/Travel in Oz/NZ

1. Posted by graemewh (Budding Member 11 posts) 9y

Me and My girlfriend are planning a round the world trip for 12 months and we will be going to OZ and NZ within our trip we are going to work there but also want to travel. The main problems and advice we need is where to stay as we would be here for about 4 months maybe and not sure if best to travel a bit around Oz then go to somewhere to work and then the same in NZ?

2. Posted by graemewh (Budding Member 11 posts) 9y

anyone have any advice? we were maybe thinking of getting a camper van and driving around Oz stopping athostels/camp sites?

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4946 posts) 9y

I think the reason you haven't received a reply yet so far is that you're asking a very general question, without giving much of an idea of what you like to do or are looking for or anything else based on which we can give meaningful advice.

I'll say that since working holiday visas run for a year - and you can only get one per lifetime - I personally would recommend only applying for such a visa for one of the countries - leaving the second as an option for some later point (you can apply for them up to the day before you turn 31). Regular tourist visas allow you to stay in the country for three months, which is a decent chunk of time to see a lot of the country. It does mean you'll have to work twice as long in the country where you choose to work, but either way, backpacker work is not really something most people afford their trip on - only something to make the money stretch.

I personally spent a year in both Australia and New Zealand, and although I loved both, I still distinctly preferred my time in New Zealand. The scenery is not that much more gorgeous than the best Australia has to offer - but the gorgeousness is all around and much closer together, with greater variety to be seen with less effort, and truly awesome hiking all around. But that's what I consider important - if, for example, you prefer nightlife, Australia might be more what you're looking for.

Four months is a bit on the short side for buying - and then later on selling - a campervan (yet way too long for renting). Having your own transport does offer a lot of possibilities, but I wouldn't dismiss going from hostel to hostel by public transport out of hand either. Especially in New Zealand - and for the most part in Australia, too - public transport is excellent and goes everywhere you might ever want to go. Or, if you intend to stay a lot at hostels anyway, think about a car (and tent for those nights you don't stay at hostels), which I imagine (no personal experience here, so I might be completely wrong) would be easier to buy and sell on than a campervan.

4. Posted by graemewh (Budding Member 11 posts) 9y

sorry realise it was a general question, ona tourist visa can you work at all?
Maybe best to travel around Oz then when go to NZ start looking for work as Ive heard its nicer , my friend is there now and earns a good wage and he travelled 12 months last year and says NZ is nicer than Oz

5. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4946 posts) 9y

Quoting graemewh

sorry realise it was a general question, ona tourist visa can you work at all?


6. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 9y

ona tourist visa can you work at all?

Sander's right - you can't work on a tourist visa, but you can undertake volunteer farm work in return for food and accommodation. This might help you stretch the funds a little further. If it's something you're interested in then check out an organisation called WWOOF. WWOOF = Willing Workers On Organic Farms Australia.