I'm leaving for Hong Kong in two weeks and need help fast.
I need help from a local or someone with travel experience in Hong Kong. I really appreciate your help. You see, the last time I went there was over 10 years ago
1. Where should I stay - on Hong Kong island, Kowloon or New Territories - IF I plan on shopping at Stanley market, Temple market, Ladies market, Mong Kok and Lai Chi Kok (at Hong Kong Industrial Center)??
2. Which hotels does the Airport Express Railway stop right in front of and also are right near the MTR station?
3. From the airport, which transportation do you recommend: Airport Express Railway or a hotel bus?
4. What kind of shopping is there in Mong Kok? What kind of goods?
5. If I have 2 full days in Hong Kong for shopping, where should I go?
Thank you all for helping
1) best stay on Hong Kong island.
2) somewhere near Central.
3) railway is Ok, a round trip ticket is about HK$100. But bus is also a good choice because you may have a different view when sitting on the second floor.
4) Mon kok is a combination of almost everything from the hightest level to lowest. The best of Monkok for a visitor is not just buying things but pushed by the crowd. Really Hong kong taste.
5) Causeway bay, Monkok, Pacific Palace and Central, if you have time, Festival Walk just out of Kowloon Tong MTR station is a good place.
Try the Royal Windsor in Kowloon. It's centrally positioned and the courtesy bus will take you there for free from the MTR station, which is also a very quick and effiecient way in from the airport.
I booked via holidaycity.com - recommended.
I just got back from Hong Kong 3 days ago! I stayed in a Hostel Called 'Lee Garden Guest House' in Kowloon which is the Tourist Spot of hong Kong. The place wasn't anything fancy, but it was serviced every morning and the staff were really friendly.
The location was great because it was just 1hr bus ride from the airport, close to MTR railway stations and all major bus routes. It was also a 2 minute walk from Nathan Rd - the major street in Kowloon.
Central is the CBD of Hong Kong and if you want cheap shopping then I recommend you dont go there! Kowloon is where the ladies market, mong gok and other cheap markets are - and believe me they are cheap! If you have 2 ful days to shop and want cheap, fake stuff tehn go to the ladies market in mong gok and the temple street night market - you will find everything there!
The contact for the guesthouse is Charlie Chan : http://travel.to/starguesthouse
Like I said - not the flashiest place but it has a bed, TV and bathroom and it is central to everything. You are about a 10min walk to the ferry which will take you across to Central in about 7mins!
If you have any more questions just let me know! You will have a ball shopping there!
Thank you, you guys...I really appreciate your help.
1 - Hong Kong island. I stayed at The Charterhouse in wan Chai which was excellent. Wan Chai is also a great place to experience Hong Kong.
3 - I did both, and although a hotel bus was excellent for dropping you off at your hotel it does take time unless you are fortunate to stay somewhere with its own transport service. Airport Express is fab, especially for the return journey. Since you can check in downtime hours before your flight enabling you to enjoy more of Hong Kong and still get the best seat on the plane!
Have a fab time, and make sure you visit a few non-shopping places as well as shopping.