I am from Malaysia and will be coming to the US in May for a very very short visit. My itinerary at the moment is that I am supposed to reach Chicago in the early hours on 23/5 and will be leaving in the noon of 25/5 for LA. I will be in LA from 25/5 evening and will be in LA on 26 and 27 and thereafter will take a flight back to KL on the late night flight no 27/5
This is my first visit out to the US and would really appreciate it if someone could kindly give me some tips on the following due to my very very short visit :
1. Must see and experiences in Chicago and LA
2. Weather at the moment in Chicago and LA
3. Most convenient mode of transportation in these 2 cities.
4. Any particular dress code that will make our journey more comfortable
5.Reasonable stores to shop in
6. Any other pertinent information that we should know.
1. Chicago - Navy Peir, Michigan Ave, Sears Tower, Science Museum.
In LA Holywood, Venice Beach, for museums see. http://losangeles.about.com/od/lamuseums/Museums_Los_Angeles_California.htm
2. Chicago and LA weather will be rather similar the end of May - 75 - 85 F.
3. Chicago has a great bus and elevated train called the "L". Many people live in Chicago without a car. LA on the other hand most people have a car. There are buses there but due to urban sprawl the placed you want to see are really spread out.
4. Comforatable walking shoes.
6. Chicago and LA are used to visitors. The people are used to answering questions. So if you have a questions about directions or a good place to eat etc. ASK!
In LA, also consider going to Santa Monica (it's on the west side of LA just a short ways from Venice Beach). Both the city and the cliff overlooking the beach are great places to hang out and shop and eat.