my friend and I are currently doing a RTW and the last leg is SA for 6 weeks. Our draft itinerary is outlined below and we basically seek advice on whether or not we are going the best route and if our plan is realistic to complete within 6 weeks? Ideally we'd like a week in Rio to relax before we head back to wet, cold Dublin....
Look forward to receiving your comments
Thanks a million
Santiago 2 days / Valparaiso 1 day
San Pedro de Atacama (TBC) fly from Santiago
Uyuni (salt lakes) overland from San Pedro - is this possible
La Paz 1 day (overland from Uyuni to La Paz - is this possible?)
Rurrenabaque fly, spend 1 day there and then start Amazon tour (4 days/ 3 nights)
Rurrenabaque to Puno (Lake T) OR La Paz to Puno / Puno to Rurrenabaque
Puno to Cuzco (Inca Trail) OR Rurrenabaque to Cuzco
Cuzco to Nazca
Cuzco to La Paz (bus or fly?)
La Paz to Buenos Aires (fly)
Buenos Aires to Iguazu (fly)
Iguazu to Rio (can we fly?)
Rio to Dublin
I'm not sure if I get your list, but it seems there's a fair amount of backtracking, and WAY too much flying involved. Further comments:
- why fly from La Paz to Rurre? It's reasonably close, and the road isn't that dangerous
- forget about doing Rurre-Cuzco/Puno; though theoretically possible, this is too far from the beaten track given your timeframe. You'll have to get back to La Paz before continuing
- Flying Cuzco/La Paz is a waste of money and environment. Both airports involved are relatively expensive due to their altitude, and Cuzco-La Paz is an overnight bus journey
- La Paz - Buenos Aires is FAR, but could be done by bus in three legs (two if you rush it); via Potosi (optional) and Salta. Doing that bit by air means missing out on one of the most beautiful parts of the Andes
- BsAs - Iguazu can easily be done by bus, and is MUCH cheaper / very comfortable (ViaBariloche)
- Why fly Iguazu - Rio??
There's quite a lot of six week itineraries posted in this forum; you may want to browse back a few pages and check them out, may give you some better ideas.
thanks a million for your reply. I'll have a look at the other itineraries.....
Have a good weekend.