Skip Navigation

Medical Help - Dublin

Travel Forums Europe Medical Help - Dublin

1. Posted by pmoylan (Budding Member 31 posts) 9y

As a tourist, if I have a medical problem what is the best way to seek medical help?

Specifically, I have either a very badly bruised heel or some tendon damage in my foot. What would be the best course of action? I see signs for "surgery" next to chemist stores but wonder if they would just refer me to a clinic.

I'm staying in the Ballsbridge area just off of Baggot Street. I can still walk but it's reasonably painful to walk for any distance.

Any suggestions for the best way to get my foot checked out by a doctor? Will I need to schedule an appointment? Is there a facility that accepts walk in traffic? Thanks in advance.


2. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 9y

Hello Pat

I am from Ireland, but have not lived there, for 5 years. I dont know how much has changed, since then, but I will tell u how it was, when I was there.

If a person has a problem, such as yours, the thing to do would be to go to a regular doctor. They are called GPs, in Ireland. If u need a special doctor, then the GP will refer u. In Ireland people have to pay for every doctors visit. I am not sure if medical insurance pays for it, or not. Whether u need to schedule an appointment, depends on how busy the doctor is. Sometimes u can just wait.

Hospitals have a walk in emergency room. However, dont bother to go there. They give emergencies priorty. There are usually plenty of those, so it is likely that they would never get around to looking at your foot.


[ Edit: Edited on Jun 25, 2007, at 7:54 AM by Mel. ]

3. Posted by pmoylan (Budding Member 31 posts) 9y

Thanks, Mel. I'll take your advice. You are always reliable for providing quick and helpful answers to inquiries and I certainly appreciate it.


4. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 9y

U are welcome. ;)

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7