Hello Canadians/those who know a thing or two about Canada,
The TP guide about Canada is coming along very well, thanks to some great member contributions. It's coming along so well, in fact, that it's getting close to Feature-quality. But there's a handful of things that still need to be written about before we can feature it. If you can pitch in with your knowledge, now's the time! Once it's featured, the article will only be editable by full members (and above).
The areas needing writing:
- Sights and Activities - 5-9 of the most popular things to see and do in Canada
- Events and Festivals - What are some of the most popular festivals and events in Canada? Can include things like sports events, comedy/film/etc. festivals, major public holiday celebrations, etc.
- Work - For foreign visitors, is it possible to get work in Canada? How hard is it to find a job? Are there any special visa regulations relating to this one (these can also be mentioned under Red Tape)?
- Study - Once again, are there visas you can get to study in Canada? What are some of the best universities? Places to do short courses?
- Sleep - General stuff about hotels, hostels, B&Bs, camping, etc. throughout Canada. What are average rates for cheap, mid-range and top-end accommodation?
Eric (editor guy)
It looks kinda complete right now
[ Edit: Edited on Jun 26, 2007, at 1:07 PM by Utrecht ]
It is indeed a fairly complete article. A couple of areas might be expanded on.
- Getting Around By Car is not there yet. Would be useful to include, perhaps with some special notes about what to do in winter.. Coming from Australia, I'd be pretty nervous about that.
- The regions could do with some short enticing descriptions.
- Sights and Activities seems a little thin on the ground, not including things like the Rockies, etc..
Otherwise it's more just a matter of expanding on the information that's already there ..
Oh, and Keep Connected is probably best divided into Internet, Phone and Post. There's information there on internet and phone, but nothing about the postal services yet.
Excellent work. As Peter said, it's primarily a matter of expanding what's there. Here's a few areas that could be lengthened a little:
- Details about the 3 Quebec festivals - doesn't have to be much, maybe just a single line to give an indication of what it's all about, when it is, etc.
- Getting there by train and boat - would have liked to see more information for both of these sections. Rough price estimates and the frequency of services would be worthwhile to include here. The external links are great, but we can offer readers a quick overview of the various options so they can compare them without having to go to multiple other sites.
- Getting around - pretty much the same as above, just needing a bit more information. Especially for the buses - do all those bus services run throughout the country or does each one service a specific area? What are prices like for long cross-country trips?
Otherwise, I'm quite impressed with what's there. Well-written, useful information and a lot of depth when you consider the number of articles about provinces and cities in Canada. Good stuff!
In a few weeks, my girlfriend and I are going to drive up to Canada from NJ. Our plans are to take the ferry from Portland, ME to NS. Then we'll drive from there to Quebec and Montreal. We will take notes and fill in any voids where we can. If any of you can provide specific suggestions for some reference material you would like provided, please post. I'll note whats already been provided.
Yay! And now it's featured!
Of course, there's still a lot of information that can be added - especially drilling down to the regional and city level. If you're from Canada, or have been to Canada, please contribute what you know!
By the way, the fact that the Canada article is featured now means that only full members and above can edit it. This is to prevent spammers to come on and ruin what is a great article.
If you're not a full member and want to change something, leave a post in the discussion area with your suggestion. Or you could try becoming a full member by posting lots of great photos, forum posts, blog entries, etc.
sorry we're a bit late getting to this... however... we're now in Canada and are backpacking around the country for the coming 2 Months. So far we've hit Toronto, Montreal and arrived in Ottawa today!
Not sure if I'm a ful.l member or not, so if not... I'll try and post some intersting bits that we've discovered so far!
Hopefully it might help some people (since I've been researching "cheap" travel over here for the past 2 weeks.... the answer being.... it's not cheap
Hi Taffski, you're one better; you're a "respected member" even, so you will be able to edit any article in the guide.
Incidentally, although the "Canada" article is featured and semi-locked, all the sub articles (Toronto, Quebec, Montreal, etc..) are still in need of work and fine for anyone to edit.