Skip Navigation

Tourist renting rooms in China instead

Travel Forums Asia Tourist renting rooms in China instead

1. Posted by Swept Away (Travel Guru 1113 posts) 9y

I want to stay in an Asian Country for atleast a month. Southeast Asia, I now affordable rooms for rent exist. Aside from the affordable traveler's lodging houses.

But I wasn't able to find similar accomodations in HK. I want to go to a city in China very soon. But can a tourist with a Visa rent a room instead of staying in a hotel? I would prefer Macau, Shenzhen and parts of southern China.

Are there areas where the backpackers flock like in Bangkok or Malaysia... you just have to follow where some backpackers are heading to find the hostels.

And most importantly how much is the average room or studio or bedspace cost in parts of Southern China.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Posted by Degolasse (Travel Guru 823 posts) 9y

There are definitely places in China where travelers flock. Cities along the coast (HK, Shenzen etc..) tend to be more expensive than other parts, so I don't think backpacker spend too long there. But further inland in Southwest China there are a number of wonderful towns that are cheap (almost as cheap as Southeast Asia) and travelers tend to hang out for a while. Yangshuo near Guilin is quiet possibly one of the most beautiful towns on the planet and a great place to stay for a while. You'll find lots of backpackers and cheap accommodation there. Further west in Yunnan, there is Dali and Lijiang, two very touristy towns that are a couple hours apart. Both are very popular with foreign backpackers (Lijiang also popular with Chinese tourists). Both have an abundance of cheap accommodation. In any of these places I don't know about renting apartments or long term accommodation, but you can find a decent hotel for $15 a night or less.

3. Posted by Swept Away (Travel Guru 1113 posts) 9y

Dali, is still part of HK? Thanks.

so go inwards. I think I will be in Macau. So I have to do some research on where to stay if I were to move inwards.

4. Posted by opospa (Travel Guru 1837 posts) 9y

Quoting Swept Away

Dali, is still part of HK? Thanks.

No, Dali is in Yunnan Province in China.;)

5. Posted by rowdy1 (Budding Member 16 posts) 9y

when i was in beijing a couple of months ago one of our guides stated that rooms for rent in private houses including bourding houses were not availible to tourists but that may change next year with the olympics as accomodation will be scarce.