Skip Navigation

1. Posted by lunajess (Budding Member 2 posts) 9y

Hey all,

I am a 28 year old female wishing to travel to NZ for about 6 months. I am aware of the working holiday programs that I am still eligible for, but are they a necessity? I am a bit weary of committing to a job before I know where I am actually wanting to go; and I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl. Is it possible to reach NZ sans a work permit and either apply for one once there, or find jobs "under-the-table?"

Also, I have been doing loads of research, but any recommendations of places to visit or stay for a few months would be greatly appreciated. I am quite into remote areas and those that are less touristy!
If it makes any difference with the visa question, I am from the US.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Happy Travels,

2. Posted by Kathi20 (Respected Member 270 posts) 9y

In general you can apply for a work permit once you are in NZ, but you will have to do that early enough, before you tourist visa expires... so it might be a bit tricky...

There's 'under-the-table-jobs', usually the 'right people' are able to find them...

contact me if u need more info. I'm a 'little expert' on NZIS ;)

3. Posted by donna6 (Budding Member 4 posts) 9y

Just because you have a work visa doesn't mean you have to work! If you're weary about who you work for you'll want to avoid 'under-the-table-jobs' as they invariably pay crap, with crappy conditions, and you might love the country but get expelled!