Hey there !
I have to go this state to work and I will extend my trip two weeks to travel around Andhra Pradesh, Can anybody has been in this place to recommend me places to go ?
If somebody has planned to be there those dates we can meet there.
Take care !
Here are some of the important places you must not miss:
Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh, along with its twin city Secunderabad has over 400 years of history. Hyderabad is a heady mixture of heritage, traditionally hospitality and a thriving software revolution. Dont miss the Charminar and its colorful environ in the evenings.
Nagarjuna Sagar: Nagarjunasagar, a massive irrigation project on the River Krishna, about 150 km from Hyderabad, has a rich and interesting past. It was a valley in the Nallamala range of the Eastern Ghats with civilizations dating back to thousands of years.
Tirupati: The abode of the 'Kaliyuga' deity Lord Venkateswara, popularly known as Balaji, Tirupati has for centuries remained a destination divine and this feeling grows on one as one goes round the various temples and spots of natural beauty surrounding this major town.
Vijaywada: Vijayawada is known as the political as well as publishing capital of andhra Pradesh. Vijayawada is a vital rail and road link between North and the South and is now known as 'the city that never sleeps'.
Visakhapatnam: The land of the golden beaches was just over half a century ao a small fishing village. One would be amazed at the manner in which this port city with a natural harbour developed into one of the fastest growing cities in Asia.
Warangal: The city was once the heartland of Telugu culture. The capital of the Kakatiya rulers. Warangal today contains some of the best forms of architecture, especially in temples. Pl do not miss out Warangal.
You can also plan out a day trip to Chennai from Tirupati.
just for your information. you perhaps already noticed. there have been blasts in Hyderabad today killing a lot of people. take some extra care.
I would make the following suggestionsabout AP
- The city itself is pretty nice. Walking along the lake, the birla mandir (close by), markets of charminar and the Golconda would be my top picks for things to do within the city. The Golconda is very beautiful to climb up - especially if you love ruins. Try a weekday to avoid crowds and stay for the sound and light show. I am Indian citizen and didnot have too many high hopes on the sound and lisght show since it was done by the government, but i was in for a pleasant surprise. The s&L show has various famous singers singing (recorded ofcourse) in different styles of music- therefore would offer u a cultural bonanza as well.
- The secret lake is very nice in the evening(within the city). But a little lonely, so i would suggest taking some company. Also it has 2 entrances one of which is better. ask someone from the city for more info!
- Nagarjuna Sagar has nothing great and was a let down - so i would not mind giving it a skip.
- Srisailam is supposed to be a beautiful place (foresty and green) and also has a Shiva temple.
- Vishakapatnam - I havent been to this place, but i hear the beaches are pretty nice. You could also go to araku valley from here.
- Tirupati is a place to go for the experience. It is the richest temple in India and people from all over the country come to pray to this god. The maddening crowds over here are a sight to see ... I think there are rules which donot allow non -hindus to enter the shrine ( i am not sure) so i would suggest you check on that.
- for a smilar experience u cud go to 'chilkur' which is an hour from hyderabad. It is rumored that anybody who prays over there and promise to do 108 revolutions around the diety ( we usually do 3 everytime we visit temples as a sign of worship) will have their wish granted. The number of people who come to do the 108 round is quite ammazing!
Also, there is a direct train to Hampi if you would want to include tht in ur itenary!
And, have a great time!