I am going to Bacolod on the Negros Occidental island in the Philippines for 2 weeks in October, can anyone give me some suggestions as to where to visit and any must see's/do's etc? I will hire a car so I could travel to anywhere on the whole island really. Also I will be spending 14 hours in Cebu (near to the airport) so does anyone have any suggestions about what to do there?
I can't believe it...the best travel forum on the internet and no-one knows anything about Cebu and Bacolod!!!!!!
Someone must have been there surely??????
BACOLOD AND CEBU...
Go to Boracay its someplace close to those area. It has sugar cane plantations and old churches.
Bacolod, its a place to eat chicken barbeque.
Cebu is a greener version of Manila with some nice islands and beaches.
Sorry, I haven't been checking on here for some time now.
Anyhoo, Bacolod is really basically about the sugar can plantations, eating chicken inasal, and the rural life. It also has a few beaches here and there, but that's not what they're famous for. One big event they have is the MASKARA festival, but that's during the summer.
You might want to spend more time in Cebu. Cebu is much like a hub. You can venture out to different beaches from Cebu, or you can go around the city and check out the Magellan's cross, eat sutukil at Lapu-lapu town, or check out the nice resorts within the city (Plantation Bay, Mactan Shangri-la, etc.)
If you have time, you can cross over to the nearby islands like Bohol or Boracay.
What exactly are you interested in? Let us know so we can help you better with the suggestions
I will be in bacolod for the Masskara festival! thats one of the reasons i am going at that time. my gf is in Bacolod so thats why I am going there. So nice beaches, places of interest nearby and good bars restaurants is what im after. Im only there for 2 weeks so not that long really. I only have 2 days in Cebu so really just need to know nice bar to sit in while waiting for my flight both going to bacolod and on way home.
Oh, haha, I forget when the Maskara festival actually is :P Good on you, then! Should be fun
If your gf's a local of Bacolod, I'm sure she or her family would know where to bring you for beaches and all that. So no worries! When in Cebu, don't fail to grab a fresh seafood sutukil meal in Lapu-lapu. Try Cebu's roasted pork, too! The happening bar is Vudu, but there should be a lot of options when you get there
I'm a local from Bacolod!
From http://www.gobacolod.com/ "A land where the old is preserved and the new is embraced, where genteel yet strong-willed people tilled and nurtured fertile soil and turned it into the country's 'sugarland'.
There are lots of things to do in Bacolod:
1) Masskara Festival - you have to watch the Masskara Street Dancing Parade (http://www.bacolodcity.gov.ph/bacolod_masskara_festival.htm)
Here's the calendar of Activities for October in case you're interested:
October 1 - Monday
Food and drinks kiosks will operate until Oct. 21 (Public Plaza and SM City)
Ongoing till Oct. 31
Magica MassKara (Orange Gallery)
Oct. 13, 2007
MassKara Queen Pageant
Oct. 18, 2007
Countdown to Charter Day Street Party
Street Dancing Competition Schools category
Oct. 19, 2007
CHARTER DAY celebration
Civic Military Parade
MassKara Fantasy Costume Show
Oct. 20, 2007
Street Dancing Competition Barangay Category
MassKara Drum Beating Contest
Oct. 21, 2007 [b]
Street Dancing Competition Open Category
2) Bacolod Chicken Inasal - try out the famous Chicken Inasal (Barbeque Chicken) at Manokan Country!
3) Beach - visit Lakawon Beach resort! It's a white sand beach resort, yet not as commercialized as Boracay. It's an hour's drive from Bacolod City and a 15-minute pumpboat ride from Barangay Cadiz Viejo in Cadiz to reach it. You can read more about it from Lonely Planet.
4) Bacolod Sweets - you should try our famous Piaya, as well as other delicacies from Virgies or Bong Bongs like Barquillos, Mango and Caramel Tarts.
5) Negros Museum - This will definitely help you learn more about the city and the island of Negros.
6) Visit nearby cities - such as Silay, known as the Paris of Negros. There you'll see a lot of old houses, a reminder of Negros' colonial history.
7) Night Out - drop by Sorrento, Cafe Breizh for a night out in the city.
For more information, go to http://www.gobacolod.com/
[ Edit: Edited on Sep 11, 2007, at 11:21 PM by missmatch. ]
Cheers for the replies. Im really looking forward to the Masskara Festival. Would I be able to get involved in it in any way as I am a proffesional drummer and i see that there will be drumming going on? Would be great if I could.
if you have 14hrs in Cebu, if i were you i'd hit the Casino Filipino on the Waterfront hotel