Skip Navigation

A working holiday in Canada for Irish or British?

Travel Forums North America A working holiday in Canada for Irish or British?

1. Posted by HafJafMark (Respected Member 291 posts) 9y

Does anyone know of any such thing?

Ive checked the immigration website, but it seems to say that you need a jobn offer first - but Ive heard that this isnt the case. Does anyone know how it works?

2. Posted by samsara_ (Travel Guru 5353 posts) 9y

Hi Mark,

My brother is leaving for Canada on a WHV for 1 year in the next couple of weeks. There was a certain amount of the usual red tape to get through, including him having to buy a return ticket to Ireland, even though he'll be travelling on from Canada. He went through USIT who organised everything for him, including his insurance.

He definitely doesnt have a job offer. He's heading over and hoping to hit the ski resorts and pick one up.

If you want to have a word to him about it, I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you. PM for his email address if you want it.


3. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

If you check out the Canada destination guide under the Visas section, you'll see a link to a page on getting a Working Holiday Visa for Canada.

For Ireland, there are two programs, Program "A" - Student Working Holiday Program and Program "B" - General Working Holiday Program. Program A is open to current students, while Program B is open to non-students. Applicants must be citizens of and resident in Ireland and be aged between 18 and 35 (inclusive). Check out the link from the Canadian High Commission.

For the UK, The program is for people aged 18-30 who are Post Secondary Students, and is valid for 6 to 12 months. Check out this link from the Canadian High Commission.