Skip Navigation

2 years roaming Europe? How does it work at customs?

Travel Forums Europe 2 years roaming Europe? How does it work at customs?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

2 years roaming Europe? How does it work at customs?

I am planning a European tour (lasting well over a year, maybe 2) due to the large number of countries I want to visit (pretty much the whole continent).

I'd like to know how long I can stay in the EU as a Canadian visitor (non-working, non-student, non-visa status).

I know I'm allowed to stay in Spain (my first destination) for up to 3 months without a problem, but what is this carta de invatation (at the police station) they talk about? Or at least my online research talks about it.

After Spain, I'd probably enter Morocco, to escpae the winter in Europe, but I'd like to come back in, and do Portugal, Spain again, France, Italy (and probably in that order). This leg of the trip might take longer than 3 months. I travel VERY slowly, sometimes spending a whole month in a region, or city.

Will there be a point where I'd be kicked out of Europe, and have to head to North Africa for a while before returning back in again?

In Scandanavia, will I have to go to Russia, and come back to avoid the 3 month duration limit? What about in the Balkans, and Central/Eastern Europe?

How does it work in border customs for travelers/backpackers constantly roaming around Europe?

As for purpose: It's world travel.
As for money: I tell the custom's agents I have lots of euros, a bank card with more euros, a family credit card number for emergencies, and loving parents who add money into my account if I need it.

2. Posted by jaxstar (Full Member 74 posts) 9y

you should look into the working holiday visa scheme. often aussies, kiwis and canadians wil be let into a country for a year to live and work... look into that, then youre on the continent legally for a year!!

3. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

Don't you mean in a SINGLE country for a year?

I doubt EUROPE as a whole offers Canadians one year to work, and live ANYWHERE in the EU? I think it's country-specific.

The other problem with WHV's is they need to be prepared ahead of time. I am flying to Spain next weekend, and won't be returning to Canada for several years. I'd like to know how to get these WHV's on the road, away from Canada.

4. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

Quoting sandy456

Will there be a point where I'd be kicked out of Europe, and have to head to North Africa for a while before returning back in again?

You're Canadian, correct? If so, then 90 days without a visa.

Check out this site - Canadian Consular Affairs.

The member states of the European Union (EU) (not including the United Kingdom and Ireland) along with Norway and Iceland make up the Schengen Area, which aims for common rules regarding visas, asylum rights and controls at the external borders.

In the Schengen Area, Canadian travellers do not need visas for short-term visits (up to 90 days), but some countries require you to register with local authorities within three working days of your arrival. It is important to get your passport stamped when entering the Schengen Area. The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities. It is important to confirm the up-to-date entry requirements with each embassy and/or high commission of your destination(s) before departure.

The countries in the Schengen Area are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, along with Norway and Iceland. Countries that are not yet fully part of the Schengen Agreement – visa requirements were adjusted to comply with the EU’s common visa policy, but controls are still in place at the borders as the EU's external frontiers do not include them yet Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

I believe, however, that the 90 days is total time in the area - so you can't spend 89 days in Europe, go down to North Africa for 3 days and then return for another 89 days. I believe that you can't spend more than 90 days within a 180 day period within the Schengen Area. (yup, just found a source for that: Norway site).

Therefore, unless you want to get a visa, you can spend 3 months in the Schengen Area, and 3 months elsewhere.

5. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

And if I don`t get an entry stamp, how will they know when the 90 days are up.

6. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

If you don't get an entry stamp, they won't know when you entered. They may then assume that you are in the EU illegally, which could result in all sorts of issues.

I would try and plan to comply with the rules - 90 days in the Schengen Area, then 90 days away from it, then you should be free and clear to enter again.

7. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

If I travel between Spain, and Portugal, or Spain and Morocco, do I recieve entry/and exit stamps at each crossing, or is it just between Shengen, and non-Shengen countries were stamps are issued.

8. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

Spain and Portugal, which are both Schengen countries you would not get a stamp. More than likely there will be no border checks at all. I haven't travelled between the two, but have found no border checks between France, Germany, Belgium and Netherlands in my travels.

I did get a stamp when leaving the Schengen area - from Germany to Poland.

I'm not sure on specifics between Morocco and Spain is with regards to border controls.

9. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

ok, then if neither spain or portugal are in the habit of stamping passports of canadians visiting their countries, how is the rest of shengen supposed to know how long I spent there. how do they enforce the 90 days in a 180 day period rule.

10. Posted by Utrecht (Moderator 5597 posts) 9y

You will get stamps when entering and leaving Morocco from Spain (or any other country for that matter).

You get an Schengen entry stamp and when you will leave Schengen countries you will get a stamp as well. If it is more than 90 days you can expect issues like Greg said, although I don't know anyone who has experienced that.
Just see it as one big country, maximum 90 days in a row, or total of 90 days in a 180 day periode, with stamps every time you enter or leave that big 'country'. That way they will know how long you have stayed.