Skip Navigation

2 years roaming Europe? How does it work at customs?

Travel Forums Europe 2 years roaming Europe? How does it work at customs?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

11. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

and if i don;t recieve an entry stamp, then what...can i assume it is relatively easy to overstay.

12. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

Spain and Portugal will stamp your passport if you are coming from a non-Schengen location - like flying in from Canada or coming on the ferry from Morrocco. If you are just crossing between Portugal and Spain, then you won't get a stamp.

You can't spend 90 days in Spain, cross into Portugal and spend 90 days there. The 90 days is for the whole of the Schengen (EU) area. Therefore, at the end of 90 days you have to be out of the Schengen area completely.

If somehow you don't get a stamp on entering the EU, then if found the police / immigration could assume you are in the country illegally and deport you back to Canada, probably with restrictions on your ability to travel back to the EU. If you overstay your 90 days and get caught, same deal - you could be deported back to Canada. How often that happens, I don't know.

13. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

surely there must be non-eu citizens traveling throughout shengen for longer than 90 days, without the requirement to leave. obviously one way around this to apply for a specific country work visa, but that does restrict you to stay in only that country. the other option appears to be working holiday visa for upto 6 months, but again thats specific to one country, not all of shengen. it;s also impossible to apply for inside europe, minus germany i believe.

14. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y

I believe if you want to stay in the EU for more than 90 days within the 180 day window, you would need to get individual visas from each country you'll be in.

Some of the countries have long stay visas, like France website on long stay visitor (i.e. not working) visa. Note that they say that if you want to stay in France longer than 6 months, you need to apply for residency. Others it appears that if you want to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for residency (like Sweden), and don't have a non-Schengen visitor visa.

I think even if you don't plan on spending more than 90 days in a single EU Schengen country, if you want to spend more than 90 days within a 180 day period, you'll need to apply for visas in the countries, or potentially residency.

If you are planning on spend 2 years in Europe and north Africa, I think your best bet is to plan your travels so you do the 90 days in Schengen, 90 days out of Schengen. Otherwise you'll be spending all your time getting visa

15. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 9y

Greg gave you some great advice - couldn't have done it better.

Your best bet is indeed to apply for residence in one of the Schengen states or do the working-holiday visa scheme. Or to go in and out of Europe after 90 days for 90 days.

Just some simple maths: You'll need approx. 50 EUR per day for every day in Western Europe and 35 EUR for every day in Eastern Europe. Assuming you spent one year in Western and one year in Eastern Europe, you'll need to have around 31000 EUR for your extravaganza. With this amount of money in your bank, it should be easy to get a residency permit.

If you do not have so much money, you'll be forced to do the WHV. Or you'll voluntarily leave Europe after 90 days to travel around the Middle East for 90 days, where you need only around 20 EUR per day.

Your best bet to get a residency permit is to apply for a student visa, btw. Sign up for a language course or similar and get something useful for your career out of your trip.

16. Posted by sandy456 (Full Member 213 posts) 9y

I usually spend 0-20 dollars a day, regardless of the location as I couchsurf, hitchhike, and eat for cheap. As for languages, I usually download an audiobook and learn on my mp3 player.

In this case, I will do 90 days, in and out. Can I keep repeating 90 in, 90 out? Is there a maximum limit?

  • 1
  • 2