Skip Navigation

1. Posted by Jogilroy (Budding Member 17 posts) 9y


Any recommendations on companies who help you get your tax back in Aus? Any advice on where to avoid would also be helpful!!

How long does it typically take?

Thanks guys...

2. Posted by hels82 (Full Member 96 posts) 9y

Sorry cant help with any companies-but-I did mine myself and it wasnt hard. It can all be done online-you just download a program, complete the questionnaire with all your details and then submit at the end. Think it took just over a month for me to get my tax refund!
Good luck!

3. Posted by robbo_gsi (Full Member 81 posts) 9y

I can second what Hels did. You'll get a much better refund by doing it yourself online than by using one of those companies. My friends both earned over $1000 more than me in 1 year and got more or less the same refund as me through using a company than I did doing it by myself. :)

4. Posted by Erik85 (Respected Member 274 posts) 9y

I think most people just use private accountants, not necessarily the one company. is the official Australian Tax Office website (if the link is removed just Google Australian Tax Office), this site prob has the answer to many questions. It may be possible to do it online using E-tax return, but you might wanna check with this first (not sure how the verification process goes with internationals).

5. Posted by jaxstar (Full Member 74 posts) 9y

make friends with an accountant, or accounting student :D

6. Posted by makka (Respected Member 248 posts) 9y

very interesting topic - its going to effect me after my travels, probably not something for me to worry about just yet tho

say you finish working in australia 1 month before your set to leave the country for your next destination as part of a RTW tour ... can you apply for a taxt rebate then or should it all be done when your settled @ ''home'' after your trip?

7. Posted by robbo_gsi (Full Member 81 posts) 9y

its best to apply for it at the end of the tax year or when u decide ure not goin to work in oz again usng ure WHV. u can do it wherever u are at any time

8. Posted by Taffski (Travel Guru 182 posts) 9y

I´m sure there´s a couple of posts on here about this already and about how some people had problems with getting their tax back by using some companies.

Do a search and I´m sure you´ll get some useful info.

I did mine online and it was easy.

Remember you might also need to claim your super Annuation back (Like a compulsory UK Pension) which is a different process (You can claim this back only once you´ve left the country) i.e. you´re visas run out or been cancelled.

This is again more money to add to the "Pay off the Credit card Bill" :)

Hope this helps


9. Posted by Jogilroy (Budding Member 17 posts) 9y

Hey guys,
Thanks loads for your help. If I do my tax myself would they be able to put it into an overseas bank account? I'll be leaving Australia and closing my aussie bank account before I get the pay out.

10. Posted by robbo_gsi (Full Member 81 posts) 9y

yep they'll just send u a cheque to your home adress (well thats what they did for me anyway)