Skip Navigation

attempt in Thai Visa thread not

Travel Forums Asia attempt in Thai Visa thread not

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by I-Travel (Budding Member 48 posts) 9y

I-Travel has indicated that this thread is about Thailand

I am attempting to plan a trip to Thailand in May 2008. I will be staying longer than 30 days. I hold a US passport.

I have read the Thai Visa site and am still having trouble understanding. I have emailed them twice with no reply.

I will be in Honduras the three months previous to my flying to Thailand. Being I need my passport to both get into and get out of Honduras, mailing it is out of the question.

Time will allow me to stop in the states between Honduras and Thailand...though I such don't want to stay any longer than I have to. :)

I understand certain states are associasted with certain Thai Embassays in the US. Do I as a Colorado resident have to some how get my passport to Chicago to have a Thai Tourist Visa Issued for 60 days...


is it possible to stop in LA for a couple days to take in to the embassy there?

I understand Thailand is cracking down on the dates of any persons return flight. I am happy as a lark to plop into Thailand, bail out to Laos or where ever and come back but my airline ticket will still say 60 days arriving and departing Bangkok.

Originally I was going to fly though London and asked if I could have the visa issued in county other than my own. That question is still on the table for future planning.

Thank you for your time...

[ Edit: Edited on Nov 21, 2007, at 11:52 AM by I-Travel ]

2. Posted by wildfk (Respected Member 459 posts) 9y

Rather a tortuously worded question...I guess there is a lot there that no-one can answer.but....

If you arrive at an Airport in Thailand with an ongoing ticket they will give you permission to stay for 30 days...this is not actually a's a stamp saying you don't need one!

After 30 days you will have to leave and re-enter...again for up to 30 days (e.g. trip0 to Laos or Cambodian boarder.)

this is usually permitted up to 3 times or a total of 90 days...

A tourist visa must be obtained at first outside Thailand and is usually for up to 60 days - check on re-entry conditions...I would very much doubt if there are restrictions on where you can get it...just about any Thai consulate or Embassy in any country can issue one.
Other more complicated visas are available but require various extra docs.
I reckon for your ordinary visa, I would take along passport, maybe bank balance and evidence that you are travelling on...they may not even want that.

3. Posted by I-Travel (Budding Member 48 posts) 9y

I am sorry the wording of my q confuses you...I am confused so perhaps that is the problem.

I understand "back in the day" one could get a "Visa on arrival" some places say this was valid for 15 days and some for 30 days..perhaps the rules have changed, I also understand once upon a time you did not have to have a return ticket. Now if one reads the Thai Site well you will see one can no longer do this, they are cracking down on return ticket proof. So, from this information and the fact that my ticket will say arriving and departing Bangkok in a 60 day time needs to have a tourist visa.

I have emailed the Consulate in Denver and the Embassy in LA three weeks ago..neither one has bothered to reply. This doesn't give me much hope for "about any Consulate or Embassy can.." do much of anything.

With all that said Mike was kind enough to email me a phone number here in Denver that may be able to help me.

Thank you for your time and effort.

4. Posted by wildfk (Respected Member 459 posts) 9y

The 30 day is not "Visa on arrival" it is a visa-less entry permit.

I would think that evidence of onward travel would be sufficient regardless of how long your visa/stamp is.

In the end it is down to the immigration official in front of you whether he lets you into Thailand or not....I've seen no evidence whatsoever of many people being turned back at the airport - have you??

About 43 other countries have a "visa-less" 30 day agreement with Thailand...I'm pretty sure USA is one of those. So if you turn up with no prior visa they should let you in for 30 days so long as they are convinced you are not going to overstay...I would suggest that this is up to you and the immigration you have an ongoing ticket and intend to stay in Laos or Cambodia for some of the 60 day period delineated by your flight schedule I would be surprised if there was a problem.

As I said you don't need to get your visa if you so choose from USA; as far as I'm aware any Thai consul will oblige. - Have you tried ringing one?

Although there IS a clamp down on stuff, it is still quite acceptable for someone to go to the border on a "visa-run" at least once ro twice so I can't see a problem.

Perhaps if you try again on Thai Visa and re-word your question - there are a lot of people on that site who are professionally qualified to answer your query.

Has anyone on this site been turned back ever from Thai immigration???

5. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 9y

Hello I-Travel:)

What I would do about that is stay in one of those US cities u are planning to go to until your visa is issued by the Thai consulate there. If they dont answer emails or pick up the phone then find out on the internet what the visa requirements are and then take them to the consulate. If there is not a list of requirements on the internet go directly to the consulate and ask. Ask if u can hand the application in and then if u can pick up the visa when it is ready. That will save u having to trust the mail system with your passport.
Dont worry too much about the consulate not responding to your emails. Some consulates are like that but it does not mean that they wont give u a visa.

The visa on arrival is for 30 days for citizens of most countries.
U can no longer just leave Thailand and go back in and get another 30 days. What u can do is have the visa extended at one of the immigration offices in Thailand for a fee. I dont know how long the extension would be for.

Officially u are supposed to have a ticket to leave Thailand for before your visa expires. However the airport officials in Bangkok rarely/never check this. U may have a problem with the airline taking u to Thailand. Often they do not want to allow people without return tickets to board the plane. I would check with them that it will be OK for u to go to Thailand without a return ticket on their airline before buying the ticket.


[ Edit: Edited on Nov 23, 2007, at 12:52 AM by Mel. ]

6. Posted by I-Travel (Budding Member 48 posts) 9y


This is where things get sticky...

"I would think that evidence of onward travel would be sufficient regardless of how long your visa/stamp is."

The evidence of onward travel would be a return ticket FROM Bangkok SIXTY days later.

Yes the visa on arrival for 15 days or the visa-less entry for 30 days are an option but as I have said several times my ticket will say I am arriving in Bangkok and leaving Bangkok SIXTY days later.

So, both the 15 day visa nor the 30 days visa-less will work for me.

Interestingly enough I landed in Ireland in a one way ticket without so much as a worry in the world... I didn't know how long I would be in Ireland and I was not sure what part of Europe I would be flying out of. The immigration guy in Dublin was slightly concerned and asked several times if I was sure I was a tourist. I assured him as many times as he asked that in fact I was a tourist.

The problem here is the rules are changing as fast as I am getting information and as yet I have been unable to get anyone from an embassy or a consulate on the here ya know.

I understand many people get away with all kinds of things but we also know that there is more crack down than not to the visa situation in Thailand...many a person abusing the wacky that is the system over there.

Mel, I agree I was hoping to sort some of this out sooner than later so I could in fact buy tickets with a stop in a city that would help me out. If the consulate here in Denver can in fact give me the tourist visa I am good to go. I really do need to ring them to find out being email is not working. Let us all hope the phone number I have does work... :)

Thanks oodles for the help...

7. Posted by wildfk (Respected Member 459 posts) 9y

As I pointed out, you will be given a 30 day stay if you arrive without a visa. You can then leave the country (e.g. Laos/Cambodia) and return for another 30 days. I have not heard of anyone having a rejection with this, even with a 60 day period before you return. Many people arrive intending to stay much longer with rtn tickets much later - I've yet to hear of any problems.
However if you can get a visa at any consulate you are on a better course.

8. Posted by I-Travel (Budding Member 48 posts) 9y

ahh yes well hearing of them and having them are two different things don't you think?

The airline ticket will say arriving Bangkok and departing Bangkok 60 days later....
Why on earth would they believe anything other than what is hand. Better yet why ask them to believe some thing other than what is in hand.

If indeed I did have plans to depart from elsewhere...then there would be some question as it is.

I am going to locate some place to get the Visa. I think the original q I have to get the visa in Chicago because I am a resident of Colorado.... I now have a phone number in hand that we hope someone will answer.

By the by - I think it a very bad idea to tell people not to worry about the rules and regs just cause you personally have not heard of anyone having had problems. The rules are changing so be aware!

9. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 9y

Quoting I-Travel

I am going to locate some place to get the Visa. I think the original q I have to get the visa in Chicago because I am a resident of Colorado.... I now have a phone number in hand that we hope someone will answer.

As far as I know u can get the visa at any Thai consulate.


10. Posted by I-Travel (Budding Member 48 posts) 9y

Thanks Mel!

I just rang the consulate in Denver..its a holiday so they are not there but the recording sounded promising as long as I am not a resident of California. They do offer visas but only by appointment. Interesting no?

Woohoo, I can stop in Denver and stay with friends between my trips to Honduras and Thailand to get the tourist visa. Indeed things are looking up! I really did not want to deal with LA or Chicago.

Thanks oodles and tons to Mike for finding the phone number!

by the by - I don't think you can have a "visa on arrival" extended. You can have your 60 day tourist visa extended to 90 days but I think not on the :visa on arrival"

[ Edit: Edited on Nov 23, 2007, at 8:25 AM by I-Travel ]