Skip Navigation

1. Posted by Sgt JB (Budding Member 2 posts) 9y

Sgt JB has indicated that this thread is about Australia

Me and 2 mates are heading out to oz with ozintro in mid August 2008. Were staying for 12 months WHV and hoping t get a small campervan something along the lines of VM camper. I have a British driving license (ive just passed in the last 2 months) what im wondering is would i be able to drive a camper out there (i have only category B (Car)) or would i need to get something added to my license before i go?



2. Posted by cplford (Budding Member 98 posts) 9y

I think an ordinary car licence is enough to drive a campervan like a VW or Toyota van conversion. Larger vehicles like American style RV's may require a heavy vehicle licence. Be aware that the States in Australia administer driving licences, and laws may differ between States. I have a heavy vehicle licence so I don't have to worry. There are many anomalies; you have to have a heavy vehicle licence to drive an articulated truck (semi-trailer) but old fogies with a normal car licence can hitch up a 15 metre caravan to a family sedan and head off without any experience or training in this type of vehicle-scary!

3. Posted by mumba (Full Member 42 posts) 9y

And remember you can ony drive on your UK licence for 3 months then you need to get an ozzy one. All you have to do is take your UK licence to the RTA in whatever State you are in and they will issue and ozzy one - for a cost mind. I would just Google RTS Australia and all the info will be there. Or you could just ignore that and drive anyway - I know a lot of people who did!!

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4929 posts) 9y

Quoting mumba

And remember you can ony drive on your UK licence for 3 months then you need to get an ozzy one.

This is not true. The three month limit is only for people who intend to become a resident. If you don't, you're considered a visitor for your entire stay, and can just drive on your regular overseas drivers license for the entire year.

Straight from the RTA website:

If you do not intend to stay in NSW and do not hold a permanent visa, you will be regarded as a visiting driver. If you hold a current overseas driver licence you are not required to get a NSW licence even if your stay is longer than three months.

[ Edit: Edited on Nov 28, 2007, at 10:34 AM by Sander ]

5. Posted by cplford (Budding Member 98 posts) 9y

It is only called RTA in NSW. Other States call it something else, e.g. in Queensland it is Transport Qld. Just one of the many confusing and impractical things stemming from our Federal system.

6. Posted by Nicip (Full Member 112 posts) 9y

normal uk car license is fine

i drove a mitsubishi campervan for around 6 months on mine no problems at all

7. Posted by toshie (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y

Depending on your age you may have trouble hiring a campervan.

I'm assuming, and possibly incorrect, if you have recently got your licence you are under 21.

Possibly worth doing some more research.

In Victoria, it is Vic Roads.

8. Posted by Sgt JB (Budding Member 2 posts) 9y

I am 17 at this point in time will be 18 when i leave for OZ were aware of the problems of hiring but were staying for 12 months so thinking about buying. Ive also had a few issues finding out certain things. Is there road tax and insurance to pay in Australia on Cars or is there anything else that i should know about buying.

9. Posted by toshie (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y

Registration and Third party insurance will be included with the car.

When purchasing check how much 'rego' is still on the car, may have 12 months may have 1 month left. How much you pay for your rego will depend on the make and age of the car - allow about $300. Third party insurance is the component to cover you, your passengers and the people in other cars medical expenses in the case of an accident.

Car insurance you would need to purchase separatly through an independant Insurance Company (RACV/NRMA/AAMI etc), you can get fully comprenhive insurance which will cover the market value of your car and other cars involved in an accident, or you can get third party insurance which will cover the other vehicle. Third Party, Fire & Theft, covers the other vehicle in a collison, your vehicle for fire & theft.

10. Posted by jaxstar84 (Respected Member 415 posts) 9y

you might have trouble hiring a car because of your age.... some companies dont hire cars to anyone under 21...

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7