Will be doing the above trip in Mid February then down the east coast stopping off till we reach Melbourne for 2 and half months.
Looking for the best mode of transport to do this trip and saw Greyhound pass that did this for £339 can get off when you want and valid for 180 days.
You think this would be the cheapest way and does anyone recommend or disagree with this way?
You're aware that February is smack in the middle of the wet season, meaning horrid humidity and torrential rains for most of the time you'll be up north? That time of year, it'd be far preferable to start out in Melbourne so that you won't hit the north until the wet season is over...
That said: yes, Greyhound is a very decent option. Distances are large, and scenery often boring (I never want to see another sugar cane field in my life), but it's still a very decent way to get around, and you can't beat the price.
Thanks for your reply.
Is the weather that bad? How bout Cairns early March? I just thought the weather would be great in day time and stormy at night!
Me wonders if Trail finder will change our itinerary doubt it...just one of the thing that annoyed me about the company coz they are meant to know everything this is the info they should have told us.
Though i do suppose April will also be wet so might not really make much difference which way we went
[ Edit: Edited on Dec 3, 2007, at 3:44 PM by Marky1983 ]
Well if you are looking for cheapest option, and also the fastest, Jetstar begins flying this route in Feb 08. I purchased a flight Cairns to Darwin for May 08 for AUD $249. Qantas also flies this route, but that airfare is AUD $345. $249 is a very reasonable price for a 2.5 hr flight if you ask me...
Thanks, may just do that flight, u know if I have to book in advance or can i wait till arrival?
Just spoke to Trail finders about changing the intinerary and guess what they can't do this...I think I should complain that they did advise that the North was wet season when they are meant to be a professional outfit!
Had a look at flights on Jet Star and I wondered if you thought it would be bettter to do this
Darwin to Melbourne £54 mid feb
Overland up to Carins (greyhound bus)
Cairns to Melbourne £80 end April
Then we keep to our trailfinders itinerary and fly melbourne to christchurch. Extra £130 (well £30 as we not flying from Darwin to Cairns) what you think?
Would rather wait till we arrived to see however not sure if we'll get that price!
[ Edit: Edited on Dec 4, 2007, at 4:47 AM by Marky1983 ]
Virgin Blue also flies DRW-MEL and CNS-MEL. Maybe their prices are cheaper than Jetstar's on the days you are looking for. And when it come to LCC, earlier the better is ALWAYS the rule of thumb (or just keep checking back when they always have sales). Good luck and safe travels
Do you think it would be ok to wait till we reach Darwin before we book which flight we want as you never really know how the weather is gonna turn out?
I mean will it really make much difference which way we travel the coast?
Sorry to bump my old thread just wanted some personal opinions on whether I would be best off flying from Darwin to Melbourne then up to Cairns overland (where I would have to fly back to Melbourne) or Darwin to Cairns then down to Melbourne overland around Feb / March time because I heard the weather could be v.bad in Cairns?
What u think...
im getting to Cairns in April so hopefully the weather isn't too bad!!