I'm hoping to travel from Hong Kong to Angkor Wat in May and have a few questions:
1) Is this a horrible time of year to go?
2) Is it best to fly to Phnom Penh?
3) How long does it take to get from Phnom Penh to Angkor Wat and how do you do it?
4) How much time should I spend in Angkor Wat - is a couple of days enough?
Have you priced flights yet? I think you are going to be surprised how much the quotes are from HKG-REP. I suggest you try the discount Asian airlines and fly into a cheaper city.
Now your questions:
1. May will be hot and just the start of the rainy season. Not a bad month to go. Bring an umbrella for sun & rain.
2. PNH will certainly be cheaper than REP.
3. You can easily go via road or boat from PP to SR in 4-8 hours. Bus is much cheaper; $6 vs $23 for the boat.
4. Most get the 3 day pass for $40. One day is not enough, 7 days is too much rock hopping.
Emma, I have heaps of Angkor and PP photos in my gallery. Some on the boat between PP & SR as well. Send me a PM and we will work on getting you from HKG to Siem Reap as cheap as possible.
Thanks Mike, some really useful tips here! No, I haven't priced flights yet, but will def look into going from Macau or Shenzhen instead of HK.
Will also look at your photo gallery.