My friend and I (2 males) will be spending about 3 weeks in Brazil from 17th Dec to 9th Jan. We do not like to book anything prior to arrival but we have an outline plan:
Arrive SP (1-2 nights); bus to Rio (3-4 nights); travel through Minas Gerais (3-4 nights); fly BH to Salvador (3-4 nights); fly to southern Pantanal (4-5 nights) with possible stop in Brasilia (1 night); fly ton SP (1-2 nights).
1. How easy is it to get flights on GOL? An airpass is not a proposition as we would have to book the internal flights before leaving S Africa and Varig, Tam,etc look very expensive.
2. Aside from the heat, which we would not have a problem with, are we right to head for the southern Panatanal in December?
3. I have found a company called Ecological Expeditions that do treks, deep into the Panatanal. They look OK. Anyone know of them or have other recommendations? We really are not into chi-chi lodges and riverboats.
Any other advice or suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
At New Year you will have troubles here if you don't book your hotel in advance. Why will you spend so many time in Sao Paulo? Good museums, restaurants, nightclubs and hotels there. Don't you have it at home?
- 1 ) Its easy to buy Gol tickets - it's probably the best airline here nowadays, with best prices. Their internet tickets sales always worked to me.
- 2) Pantanal - if you have mosquitoes repelent, you'll be fine. I really don't know about the weather there at that time, sorry. Check with Ecological Expeditions asking for comparision with the other seasons, and you will have a better idea.
- 3) Know nothing about that company.
When you arrive in Rio, if you want airport pick up, tours or any transportation, send me a private message anytime and I'll send you my telephone and contact information. Nobody can beat my prices to the Christ Statue (the train is very expensive, better by car).
Like our friend said, gol is tha best way to go. Its easy n cheap.
Abt pantanal: AVOID IT FROM DECEMBER TO FEBRUARY!!! Its the wet season!!! will be rainnig, and everything will be "flooded"... i went there lots of times, last time 4 years ago, i crossed the whole brazilian area with motorbikes. It was btw augst/september. This is tha best time to go there. December is really complicated there.
I suggest u should go to Bonito, one of tha most beautiful places in tha world, south of southern pantanal, south of the state Mato Grosso do Sul. If u´re going to minas gerais, should get out of BH and enjoy tha place. I don´t know if u like nature and stuff, but this is one of tha most facinanting places in this subject. Go to tha mountains. its incredible. On rio, get out of Ipanema n stuff, go to Prainha, Grumari... they have a ton of nice -not so known- beaches, better than tha famous ones.
And have a noce trip man...