Skip Navigation

what documentation .. to cross mexico and get back

Travel Forums North America what documentation .. to cross mexico and get back

1. Posted by kindlysara (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y

do you just need a us drivers liscence?

or do you need a passport..
i also heard that you needed a drivers lic. plus birth certif?

2. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 12y

I think it depdends how you are going; i.e. driving yourself or on a tour bus (day trip from LA for instance).

Generally speaking I'd take my passport and any other doumentation showing your residence in the US. This might be nothing more than a copy of your hotel booking or itinerary. Or perhaps any plan ticket you may have that has you flying out ot he US.

I doubt you'd need your birth certificate.

3. Posted by jess8 (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y

id definately take my passport.. they are very strict on all the borders into the USA and you dont want to get stuck.. if your american you can probably get away with a drivers liscence.

if your going further south than tijuanna i would go into the immigration office there and purchase the tourist visa.. i think its about $20, as they have military road blocks all over baja to check that you've got it. good luck! mexico is awesome!!

4. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 12y

As an American or Canadian citizen, you can cross into Mexico with photo id and proof of citizenship. Proof of citizenship includes:

- An original birth certificate
- U.S. naturalization papers
- A notarized affidavit of citizenship
- A valid voter registration card