Skip Navigation

anyone used visas-australia?????

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific anyone used visas-australia?????

Page
  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

11. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 8y

Quoting shane_k

I got mine in Ireland though and our Aussie embassy has no visa office so we have no choice but to either correspond with the London one (which takes ages!) or get it done just as quick as it would be anywhere else with a third party.

Hmm, that's not quite true. There is a third option (most would probably say first option) and that is to just order the visa online through the dimia website (costs 160 Australian dollars if I'm not mistaken). It takes about 24-48 hours from applying to receiving the confirmation in 90% of the cases. The other 10% of the cases are 'problem cases' where further documentation is needed (military service abroad, criminal records etc.). Even those are generally dealt with pretty quick though.

I believe all Australian embassies have stopped handling visas and the ONLY way to get a visa is now online. Or there might be one office per continent or something like that.

12. Posted by Gavin-D (Budding Member 81 posts) 8y

thanks for all the info, got things more sorted in my head now!! just gonna go through the official australian gov site for visa, and atlas provided a good deal on backpacker travel insurance.

just need autherisation for the copy of my passport page now

13. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 8y

Quoting Gavin-D

just need autherisation for the copy of my passport page now

As Sander mentioned, I am pretty sure you don't need any kind of passport page authorization. Should just be a matter of entering your passport number!

14. Posted by SOMV (Budding Member 57 posts) 8y

I agree with Sam I am, you shouldn't need a certified copy of your passport.

But if you do, for whatever reason, this just means that you need to take you passport and a copy of the id page (that is all you need to copy, don't copy all the pages) to any local solicitor and ask them to "cerify" the copy. Also attach thier business card to the certified copy. They should not charge more than £5. If they are charging you more they are over-charging you, and they know it.

:)

15. Posted by Gavin-D (Budding Member 81 posts) 8y

if you apply offline (form1150) you require the photo page of your passport to be copied and vefified

16. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4808 posts) 8y

We know that, but you just said you were going to "go through the official australian gov site", which sounds like "online" to us, hence the confusion.
Anyway, since you're now saying you're doing it offline again, for getting that photo page verified, I'd start with going to the same place you get a passport - probably city hall? They probably have some kind of special stamp or form or whatever for such purposes, and if not, then they'll be able to direct you on.

[ Edit: Edited on Feb 15, 2008, at 5:35 AM by Sander ]

17. Posted by Gavin-D (Budding Member 81 posts) 8y

ahh apologies for the confusion, am doing it through offiial site but not online. printing the document out, my ramshackle pc only works sporadically.

18. Posted by snowplain (Budding Member 21 posts) 8y

Just my view, but I reckon you really should consider just applying online. It takes all of five minutes - could get it sorted in about the same amount of time it took to log in here and write one of those posts. It really couldn't be easier, and no need to get your passport certified or fill in / mail off any forms.

And Sam may well be right with the 24-48 hour guideline on getting approval, but in my case it took about 15 minutes - not sure what the processing times are for paper applications but pretty sure they don't compete. Good luck whichever you choose :)

Page
  • 1
  • 2

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7