We have a 24hr stop over in Dubai on our way to Kuwait in March. Is it cheaper to catch a taxi or a shuttle bus from the international airport to Deira? We have been quoted 120AED as the shuttle bus charge. Also what is the average price of a cup of coffee / tea? I'm trying to work out how much AED we'll need, as we'll only be there for such a short time. We already have accommodation lined up. Thanks Cath
AED 120 can get you an Airport Taxi for virtually anywhere in Deira. Why to take a bus then??
City taxies are cheaper than Airport taxi by almost 30-40%. COnsidering the distance from Aiport to Deira to about 8-9 Kms maximum, you will pay almost 80 -90 AED.
Dubai is a reasonable city.
In a decent restaurant a Tea of Coffee will cost you around 20 Dirhams. Froma vending machine its mere 5
since you have to accomodation...and considering that you will spend the day travelling I strongly suggest that you take BIG CITY BUS (like they have in London)
its double decker bus which takes u thru city and you can hop in and out on your own (they run on 20-30 mins interval). A Dirhams 175 trip can pull you for one full day covering all major attractions of city.
Why to wait for taxis and pay higher?
if you want sthing specific..just write back.
Thanks for responding to my question so quickly. I did think that 120 Dirhams for a bus from the airport into Deira sounded very expensive, especially if a taxi is only going to cost us 80-90 Dirhams.
We will certainly take the Big Bus Tour as you suggest. We have used a similar bus service in other cities in Australia and have found it a fun and cheap way to see all the sights.
I am interested in visiting a couple of souks while in Deira; preferably ones that sell mainly spice, perfume and textiles. Can you give me the names of any and where they are located?
Also we were told that it would be interesting to visit the Bastakia Quarter. Is this in Deira?
Thanks for your help
1. Tea: General Cafeterias: 1 Dh. Starbucks: 15 -20 dhs.
2. Airport to City: Lot of public buses C1/C2/402/33: Fare per person: 1-3 Dhs. these buses go to all kinds of souks.
1. Dubai shopping Festival (www.mydsf.ae)
2. Go for Desert Safari (includes desert bashing on 4 wheels, local food, dance and other local cultural stuff - costs around 50 to 70 US$)
3. Heritage Village (local culture display) along the creek and take a ride on the sea in the toursit boat (water bus)
4. Visit www.skiddxb.com for indoor ski resort.
5. Ibn batuta Mall for architecture
there is lot to see and do .......
Hope above helps,
Thanks for all your information on prices and what to see when we are in Dubai. We realise that 1 day is not nearly enough time, but we will certain try to pack as much as we can into our time there.