Im off to sydney on the 25 sep and travelling up the east coast to cairns over three weeks.
Ive been reading the guidebooks and there seems so much to do. What would people say are the main highlights that i should definitely do cos probably wont be stopping at most of the towns, just dont want to miss anything!!!
Lets say top 5 things (or maybe few more, if needed!!)
just returned from OZ myself and I also had a real tight time frame to travel down the East Coast. If you are travelling up from Sydney then the main things that you want to see and experience are:-
1) Byron Bay
5) Hervey Bay - FRASER ISLAND - absolute must do, highlight of my trip!
6) Dingo - if you are going with OZ Experience
7) Airlie Beach - Whitsunday Sailing Tour - must see Whitehaven Beach!
8) Mission Beach - ONLY if you want to go Whitewater Rafting - go with Extreme Team!!
9) Cairns - Great Barrier Reef
10) Cape Tribulation - Rainforest scenery/tours
You are really limited with time so you'll have to pick and choose carefully, just make sure you make the most of it and enjoy yourself.
ok, Sydney to Cairns is a bloody long way!!
If i only had three weeks, id drive from sydney to the gold coast, check out Newcastle, Byron Bay, The Big Banana and the Goldie then fly to cairns.. its so far away up there and you dont want to spend half ya trip in a hot car!
I'd agree with jess8 that three weeks isn'y very long to travel from Sydney to Cairns. If at all possible I'd try to extend your trip but if three weeks is the limit then you could still travel up the East Coast and have an excellent time, but it would be a bit of a rush.
Anyway my top five destinations were:
1) Fraser Island
2) Great Keppel Island
3) Whitsunday Islands
4) Airlie Beach
5) Cape Tribulation (not strictly between Cairns and Sydney but worth the trip up from Cairns)
But if I was also including Cairns and Sydney then I'd place them 3 and 4, knocking Whitsunday Islands, Airlie Beach and Cape Trib down to 5, 6 and 7.