Skip Navigation

Campervanning around Europe

Travel Forums Europe Campervanning around Europe

1. Posted by lvicb (Budding Member 5 posts) 8y

I'm planning to travel around some countries in Europe this year in my vw camper but it's really hard to know roughly how much you need to have saved before leaving. I want to go for as long as I can afford really so theres no set time.

Has anyone done this before? If so how much roughly would you suggest is needed per month? How much are caravan/camping sites?

This is my first travelling experience so any general advice would also be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Posted by steff (Travel Guru 1160 posts) 8y

I just love travelling around in a campervan . I did it in Europe a few years back with three friends of mine and we travelled around the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern France for the three weeks in the middle of summer. I remember campgrounds weren't expensive (between 5 and 20 Euro a night) and often we could even stay for free on overnight parking places or in the countryside. What really cost a lot though was the petrol and if you're planning to do the trip on your own that will eat up most of your money. Apart from that, as long as you cook your own food and do not eat in restaurants every night, cost of living should be fairly low.
All in all, I paid 300 € for the whole trip but all the cost was split between four people. Realistically, I think a single person will need at least 500 € per month. Good luck with the saving, it's definitely worth it ;).


3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 8y

500 EUR is very very low. You'll only be able to get by on such a low budget if you never pay anything for a camping site, don't drive around much and cook all your meals yourself.

500 EUR : 30 days = 16 EUR per day!

Most tourists need at least 50 EUR per day for travelling in Western Europe. This budget usually breaks down to:

5-10 EUR - food
20 EUR - place to stay
10 EUR - entry to sights
10-15 EUR - money for getting from A to B

So 16 EUR per day would pay for food and roughly enough petrol to drive 70 kms per day. It would not pay for entry to a swimming pool (you do need to shower once in a while), nor leave you any money for the laundromat.

I strongly suggest a budget of roughly 30 EUR per day.

4. Posted by rq78 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y

This post had helped me indirectly in terms of budgetting my trip, so thanks for all who had posted replies!!
I'm heading off to europe in 2 months time, plan to spend maybe around 5 months, will be driving around...can't wait for my adventure to start. but first now I have problem with car insurance since they will not cover for anything more than 3 months!any idea???Was actually thinking bout heading off without insurance but dun want to get fine from the police, fuh!!

5. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 8y

If you drive without insurance you can get more than just fined by the police. Depending upon the country you can land yourself in jail for this.

You also cannot stay in Europe for longer than 3 months unless you are a resident. If you intend to be inside Schengen for longer than that you'll need to apply for a residency permit. This will also solve the problem of getting insurance - if you are a resident of say, France or Germany you'll easily be able to find insurance covering Europe and North Africa.

As a Malaysian citizen you'll have quite a lot of trouble with the Schengen visa though. It will be difficult to get a residency permit unless you are really rich.

6. Posted by rq78 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y

Thanks for the advice. Do u mean that even if I am travelling from one country to another, it is still not possible to be driving a car for more than 3 months in total in Europe as a whole??? I will still have problem with my Visa?Or just the driving part??I had decided to take the insurance from here and they will cover me for up to 90 days in europe, and was suggested to get another insurance from europe to cover me for the rest of the time. U think this is possible???

7. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 8y


Non-EU citizens are not allowed to stay inside the Schengen zone for longer than 90 days without being a resident. In this regard it is not the driving that is the problem, it is the visa.

When you apply for a residency permit inside the Schengen zone you solve all your problems at once: Visa, insurance and registering your car with EU licence plates.

[ Edit: Edited on Apr 22, 2008, at 3:26 AM by t_maia ]

8. Posted by rq78 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y

I still have a silly question, is it safe to say that if I exit Schengen zone before 90 days to another country not in the zone (example - Andorra), then I will be able to reentry again for another 90 days?? This is how it normally works in other country, so is it the same with Schengen zone control??
Thanks for the link it helps a lot.

9. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 8y

Quoting rq78

I still have a silly question, is it safe to say that if I exit Schengen zone before 90 days to another country not in the zone (example - Andorra), then I will be able to reentry again for another 90 days??


It is 90 days out of a 180 day period. You need to stay away for 90 days to get another 90 days. 3 months in Schengen, 3 months out of Schengen, then 3 months in Schengen again. Clear?