As the subject states, I need some major help. I'm in the midst of planning my trip in Australia. I will be flying in from Bangkok to (hopefully Cairns if it's not too expensive). Most of the websites I've found have not been that helpful with the exception of this, so I was wondering if you Oz gurus could help. And in return, I'll dedicate a youtube video!
1) How do I get to the Great Barrier Reef? Is there a portal city that gets me to that area? I would really like to snorkel, scuba dive, and parasail there.
2) To get to the Whitsunday Islands I go from Airlie Beach? How do I sail the islands tehre?
3) I hear you can get to Fraser Island from Hervey Bay and rent 4x4 jeeps to explore the jungles. Are the jeeps expensive?
4) I hear byron bay is the most eastern part of Oz. Is it worth it to check out?
I will be going to Oz in Late September/Early October until early December. Does anyone know of any user-friendly websites I for travellers in Oz? I plan on backpacking it (I'm a broke college student). thanks!
Hi, first of all I'm right for the youtube video.
1. The Great Barrier Reef seems to be most accessable from the north most cities, Port Douglas, Cairns and Mission Beach - at least this seems to be where most of the tour companies are, they do snorkelling, diving and I'm sure parasailing.
2. You are right, the Whitsundays are easiest to get to from Airlie Beach, you can take a tour from there or hire a boat from Shute Harbour. Most people take a tour, all the info you need is in Airlie Beach.
3. You can hire a 4x4 from Hervey Bay or Rainbow Beach and go to Fraser Island via the car ferrys. Most backpackers seem to hire a Toyota Troopy in a group of 10 or so and explore the island together. No idea how they find each other or organise their groups.
4. Byron Bay is the most eastern point of the Australian mainland, to me it's similar to all of the other touristy coastal towns. It's worth a look if you have time.
Usually if you just google the place you're after you get something useful! Remember that you'll be going into the wet season after September, so it'll be hot and humid up there. Enjoy your travels
The whitsundays are on the great barrier reef, and most sailing trips include snorkelling and optional diving on the reef.
As tim said, most people travel in groups. Just go to any of the places which sells tours and they'll give you a group. You can also rent a 4x drive of your own.
I liked Byron Bay. As tim said, its a touristy coastal town, but with very good nightlife, and it have kept some of its alternative/hippie charm. Weird mix.