Skip Navigation

Travel Insurance and Health Insurance - Need both?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Travel Insurance and Health Insurance - Need both?

1. Posted by Suz2424 (Budding Member 10 posts) 8y

Hi - I have searched for some previous threads but none really have the answers.

I will be getting travel insurance for my year long trip to Oz but do I need health insurance as well?

Thanks in advance for any help
Suz ;)

2. Posted by Monkey74 (Budding Member 65 posts) 8y

Hi Suz

A good travel insurance should cover all your medical requirements if they arise just check the policy to make sure.
I normally use Columbus but worldnomad is also very popular.
Hope it helps, Ave a gd1!

3. Posted by NickB (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y

The answer would be 'it depends'

Travel Insurance will generally cover accidents and emergency services and Health Insurance should cover general health and other medical conditions which require immediate attention

Make sure you read the fine print before signing up for any insurance as the coverage/duration etc may vary based on your specific travel needs!

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

4. Posted by ourgen (Budding Member 12 posts) 8y

Hi Suz

Your travel insurance should cover you for all medical/dental that may happen, you certainly don't need both, just make sure that your travel insurance is comprehensive.

5. Posted by ToniL (Budding Member 52 posts) 8y

I note that you are from the UK. A reciprocal medical agreement exists between Australia and the UK and that should cover you for acute or accidental medical emergencies - flu or being hit by a jumbo jet!.

I am not sure exactly of how the system works and perhaps another travellers point reader may be able to explain it. Otherwise try the Oz. High Commission in London - they are bound to have an explanatory leaflet.

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7