Just your thoughts on a couple's getaway. We are not big on the outdoor or nature.
Seems like Thailand would be a cheaper option but Hong Kong has Disney / Star Cruises.
Considering we don't need visa's into both these location and airfare being the same Which would you rather recommend?
Appreciate all inputs!
Posted by flyguy435
I think this is a question that no one can really answer for you, because it depends on what country and culture you are more interested in. They are both very different experiences.
Hong Kong is of course just one city, though it does also offer some ok beaches, and you can also take a side trip to Macau or even into the mainland if you have time. Its a modern, busy, exiting, and wonderful city, and if you are looking for an experience in one of the worlds great cities, it will not disappoint.
Thailand is completely different. Bangkok is a city that can compare to Hong Kong in its scale and interest, but its a much edgier, and chaotic city. I love the city personally, but I know many who hated it for the noise, pollution and dirt. But Thailand offers much much more than Bangkok, and for me it's a the idea vacation spot. The beaches are fantastic in the South, there's great temples to be seen all over the country, the food it top notch, and it's pretty easy to get around. I think it would offer a much more varied experience than Hong Kong.
Price wise, you are right, Thailand is much cheaper than Hong Kong, which is also part of it's appeal and what makes it a great vacation destination.
So it's up to you, what are you looking for?
Hi fly guy,
like what Degolasse mention, Hongkong and Bangkok are very different in culture and attractions as well. You really have to see what is your preference and you budget like.
Here are some experience I have with both countries that might be of some help
- Bangkok is much cheaper and can stretch your dollar wider.
- Shopping is good, with the weekend market and night markets.
- Food is cheap and good, you should try the local stalls if you are daring enough
- Service is also good and most places allow you to bargain which is fun at times
- Hongkong cost more, but like you said there is disney land. Not sure about going to hongkong for star cruise thou.
- Shopping and fahsion in hongkong is good but one thing, you have to check out the season as their clothes are seasonal
- Food is also good, love the mango pudding and roasted goose
- if you go in winter the weather is also nice and cooling but if you have typhoons warning then it can be a spoiler
- if you like to try your hand at the tables you can also take a boat trip over to macau
Again sorry to be a bore! but I agree with the above two posts, (I have been to both on many occasions) to be blunt and not cause offence! If you are in your late 40's and want to impress the lucky lady then go to Hongkong. Wonderful shopping, lots to see and lots to do (but... it is just a big, busy city)! Don't get me wrong it's a wonderful place. (But expensive).
Thailand on the other hand has the same as the above and the best of both worlds, it's beautiful, cheap, has the busy city and the most beautiful beaches.
I would choose Thailand anyday!