My two friends and i will be travelling round SE Asia from the middle of January 09 - to the end of March 09 before we continue on to Bali. So we have about two and a half months to see everything.
Being a novice traveller i'm okay at finding out about all of the key attractions the biggest problem i am having is working out how to best travel around SE Asia in order to see everything. (When i say how best to travel i mean which route to take).
We want to take in Thailand including the islands in the south as well as Cambodia vietnam and Laos.
We fly into Bangkok so our journey would have to start there!!!
Any advice or ideas would be massively appreciated, i'd love to hear what other people have done which routes you took and any other general advice you think would be worth us knowing.
Thank you all in advance...i look forward to reading your comments
Rach x x
as I usually recommend... please do try to include the Philippines in your itinerary... if you're familiar with the ongoing poll for announcing the new 7 wonders of the world, you may want to visit some of our spots that are currently on the top 10 list...
taken from.... http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/liveranking/
- 3 Tubbataha Reef - a smaller version of the Great Barrier in Sulu Sea, just off the coast of Puerto Princesa in the island province of Palawan. Best for diving.
- 4 Chocolate Hills - a concentration of about 300 hills in an area on the island of Bohol.
- 5 Puerto Princesa Subterranean River - the longest navigable underground river in the world. Found in the city of Puerto Princesa.
- 9 Mayon Volcano - a volcano rising majestically and is dubbed to have the most perfect cone in the province of Albay in the Bicol peninsula.
I've been to 3 of these and I highly recommend #5 and #9. I'm not a diver so I don't think I'd be able to see the Tubbataha.
If you go to Vietnam, I highly recommend visiting Ha Long Bay... been there..
I take it that in your SEA trip, you are skipping Myanmar, and am not sure if you are including the Philippines. Anyway, given that you have two months plus, I suggest;
1. From Bangkok, you head for Chiangmai, Chiangrai, and cross over into Laos at Chiang Kong/Huay Xai, and take boat to Luang Prabang, with a overnight stop over at Pak Beng. from Luang Prabang, had down south to Vientiane, and further down from Savannakhet, cross into Vietnam, arriving in Hue/Hoi An. And from here, you head south...all the way to HCMC ( this means you will be giving Hanoi/Haipong a skip, unless youw ant to back track). from HCMC, you can cross into Cambodia via Moc Bai to Phnom Penh. From PP, you can then head for Siem Reap, and then into Thailand via Poipet, arriving in Aranyaprathet. From here, you can go the BKK, after which you travel south, stopping over at islands, like Phuket, etc.. You can then travel down south to Malaysia, and from Kuala Lumpur, take flight to Bali.
But i am not sure, if you can pack SEA in two months.
If you wish detailed itinerary, rush me a msg..